AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Panny 42" plasma (TH-42PX60U) in December 2006 and the remote and TV's front panel buttons no longer work as of Wednesday. Only the ON/OFF button works on the TV or remote. The volume is fixed at an OK range. No channel changes, no volume changes, no input changes (can't watch a DVD, for example). At least, with my D* HR20 connected, I can still watch TV.


Panasonic approved repairman quoted $650 to replace the D/T (digital tuner) board. When the unit is off, the front panel LED blinks 20 times and then off for 3 secs and repeats the cycle. From that pattern and checking a few other things, led him to the D/T board. I don't have that many hours on the TV.


Any others out there had problems with their Panny Plasma TVs? A $650 repair for a 13 month old $1300 TV seems rather steep. I just got an offer letter to purchase an extended warranty for 12 months, but Panny won't accept my application after hearing it needs a $650 repair. What a crock!


Even if they'd split the repair or allow me to purchase the 1 year warranty and accept this claim would be 'acceptable' for me right now.


I've recommended Panasonic to friends and family, but not a big fan any more.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts
There was a factory firmware release for the PX60U that fixed an issue where the TV suddely became unresponsive to most of the remote keys and front panel buttons. This may be what is wrong with your TV.


The Panasonic firware download page is all screwed up now and the descriptions of the issues the various download correct are now gone so it might be hard to determine which update corrects what.


You might want to take it to a higher (smarter more technical) level at Panasonic and inquire about the firmware update. They have sent it on SD card to owners that were having problems and were able to rectify the problem. This is worth checking into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,001 Posts
You are better off replacing the display with a new. Just a suggestion. That is why ext warranties come in handy.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I would have thought the repairman would have thought about a firmware d/L but from the info we see (20 blink pattern of the LED and other diagnoses) led him to the D/T board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/13017719


You are better off replacing the display with a new. Just a suggestion. That is why ext warranties come in handy.


Chris

Buying a new TV to place a 13 month old one that was $1300 is not acceptable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ /forum/post/13017902


Buying a new TV to place a 13 month old one that was $1300 is not acceptable.

This is why i'm such a firm believer in buying an extended warranty. Flat Panel TVs are very expensive to repair and even though Panasonics (and Pioneers) have a low 3% failure rate, one failure can be half the cost or even more than the cost of a whole new TV.


An authorized Panasonic service center should be aware of the various firmware downloads, but they may not be so forthcoming about it because the firmware download is free and they'd rather charge you to fix the TV. Or, maybe they'll simply apply the firmware upgrade and rape you for $650?


Did you happen to buy this TV with a good credit card? Many card providers will automatically add an additional year to the factory warranty, so if you bought this TV with such a card then your credit card people will pay to have it repaired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ /forum/post/13017902


Buying a new TV to place a 13 month old one that was $1300 is not acceptable.

$650 is quite a bit for repairs. I personally, would not place that much money for an old display. That is why I mention that. I have same display, but I can not see myself spending that much for repairs, unless you see that their is a benefit.


The only resort is to talk it over with Panasonic, but they already reconfirmed their stance on your display.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/13017974


This is why i'm such a firm believer in buying an extended warranty. Flat Panel TVs are very expensive to repair and even though Panasonics (and Pioneers) have a low 3% failure rate, one failure can be half the cost or even more than the cost of a whole new TV.


An authorized Panasonic service center should be aware of the various firmware downloads, but they may not be so forthcoming about it because the firmware download is free and they'd rather charge you to fix the TV. Or, maybe they'll simply apply the firmware upgrade and rape you for $650?


Did you happen to buy this TV with a good credit card? Many card providers will automatically add an additional year to the factory warranty, so if you bought this TV with such a card then your credit card people will pay to have it repaired.

I'll call them back tomorrow and ask about whether a firmware update may address the problem. I bought the TV with a Bank of America credit card. Do they off such a policy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
They have over 400 credit cards available so it is a little hard to answer that question. Just call them and ask them at the 1-800 number on the back of the card. They should be able to tell you if you have it or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ /forum/post/13018445


I'll call them back tomorrow and ask about whether a firmware update may address the problem. I bought the TV with a Bank of America credit card. Do they off such a policy?

If it's a debit card I don't think they offer the same extra year coverage, but don't hold me to that. If its a visa or mastercard, almost 90%, maybe all of them offer the extra year warranty, so I'm pretty sure you'll fit in that category.


As far as getting extra warranty, you would never catch me buying that stuff; i think it's a huge rip off. Now if your tv was 5 maybe 6,000 bucks or more and your extra warranty is only like 300 bucks then go for it. But when all else fails use that credit card for the extra year warranty, but the thing about that is you can't buy extra warranty and then expect your amex or visa to give you that extra year warranty after your extended warranty has ended. It only starts when the Manufacturers Warranty has ended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
yeah the extended warranties are a rip off. they make HUGE profits off of those, that's why they push them so hard at the brick and mortar shops.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almach1 /forum/post/13021946


yeah the extended warranties are a rip off. they make HUGE profits off of those, that's why they push them so hard at the brick and mortar shops.

People here are sharply divided on this issue. Some folks think they're a ripoff and don't believe in buying EWs, and others think of them as insurance and are willing to pay for the peace of mind.


I don't care how much profit the providers make on their warranties, in the rare chance that you actually need the warranty they do pay off big time. I have benefitted greatly from 3 different EWs (TV, VCR, and VW) when the items failed after the factory warranty expired, and there are lots of other people here who have benefitted from theirs, and a larger group here who suffered catastrophic failure and were faced with $500-$1000-$1500 repair estimates. I betcha these poor folks wished they'd spent the measly $130 for an EW. I have had a few other electronic failures on items that i did not buy an EW for (like a $65 warranty my $500 A/V Receiver that failed at 3 years and the estimate for repair was almost $500 so i threw it away).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ /forum/post/13017533


I got a new Panny 42" plasma (TH-42PX60U) in December 2006 and the remote and TV's front panel buttons no longer work as of Wednesday. Only the ON/OFF button works on the TV or remote. The volume is fixed at an OK range. No channel changes, no volume changes, no input changes (can't watch a DVD, for example). At least, with my D* HR20 connected, I can still watch TV.


Panasonic approved repairman quoted $650 to replace the D/T (digital tuner) board. When the unit is off, the front panel LED blinks 20 times and then off for 3 secs and repeats the cycle. From that pattern and checking a few other things, led him to the D/T board. I don't have that many hours on the TV.


Any others out there had problems with their Panny Plasma TVs? A $650 repair for a 13 month old $1300 TV seems rather steep. I just got an offer letter to purchase an extended warranty for 12 months, but Panny won't accept my application after hearing it needs a $650 repair. What a crock!


Even if they'd split the repair or allow me to purchase the 1 year warranty and accept this claim would be 'acceptable' for me right now.


I've recommended Panasonic to friends and family, but not a big fan any more.


Have you spoken to customer service? If so escalate the matter beyond CS.Owners have reported Panasonic stepping up in the same situation (1-month out of warranty) and covering a repair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,590 Posts
Extended warranties are a shoddy manufacturer's best friend. They get to avoid the heat that they would experience from so many failures, because so many people pay out of their own pockets to cover the failures, and when the shoddy product fails, they use the warranty that they purchased, and the manufacturer avoids all responsibility and consumer pressure for such high failure rates.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3NTJ /forum/post/13018445


I'll call them back tomorrow and ask about whether a firmware update may address the problem. I bought the TV with a Bank of America credit card. Do they off such a policy?

My B of A Platinum World Mastercard has the extended warranty coverage. Yours may or may not - you have to call them or read your card's terms of service. But i'd call, and get the name of the CSR that you spoke with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts
Warranties are insurance policies, and like any insurance policy chances are that you'll spend more on the policy than you'll get in return. Otherwise it wouldn't be a profitable business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/13023708


Extended warranties are a shoddy manufacturer's best friend. They get to avoid the heat that they would experience from so many failures, because so many people pay out of their own pockets to cover the failures, and when the shoddy product fails, they use the warranty that they purchased, and the manufacturer avoids all responsibility and consumer pressure for such high failure rates.


Interesting.


All mfrs must be shoddy then as the best mfr warranty I believe one can get is 2 years.


I got a 5 year ext warranty and it was cheap.


Yes, the brick and mortar warranties are a lot more expensive.I got mine through the authorized PIO internet retailer and am glad I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/13026427


Warranties are insurance policies, and like any insurance policy chances are that you'll spend more on the policy than you'll get in return. Otherwise it wouldn't be a profitable business.

Overall any consumer will be far ahead to say NO to all extended warranites, and take their chances. Over time you will save a TON of money doing this. Once in a while you would win with the warranty but there is simply no way of knowing WHICH time to buy it, and if you buy them all the time you LOSE for certain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
I have always been anti-extended warrantee, the prices places like Best Buy want are crazy. However, I have read here about the Mack Warrantee that is sold by a forum sponsor and others and the pricing on that seems much more reasonable, so I am seriously considering it for my new Panny plasma that will be here in a week or 2.
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top