AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't post question threads often, but i could use some thoughts here. Completed my weekly trek to CC to look at the array of plasmas, LCDs, DLPS, and caveman-style CRTS (ones like i currently own).

Though i'm firm on getting a Panny HD unit next month (unless the new pioneers are significantly better and competitively priced), I still can't make up my damn mind between the 42 and the 50.

With the anticipated msrp cuts, price is looking like less of a factor, thank goodness. and lord knows i love the impactful size of the 50 -- all things being equal, i would get the 50.

my concern is PQ. in store displays, particularly when viewing SD, it looks like the 42 -- just by virture of its smaller size -- shows fewer obvious PQ flaws. This seems reinforced by reviews, such as on CNET, which tend to give higher PQ marks to smaller size plasmas.

I'm wondering if there's anybody has experience looking at both sizes (clevelandplasma, perhaps?) and has any thoughts on the subject. Is smaller better when it comes to PQ? And if so ... are the benefits of having a bigger unit offset by the degredation of PQ?

Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
jcinzano,

There are two things involved here:
  • Number of Cells that can be crammed on to the screen (1024x768 vs 1366x768)
  • Distance from the screen

The first one means that the smaller screens use less of the HD signal then the larger screens and with the second, the viewing distance plays an important role on how your eye can view the screen.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
I'll be at 10' .. if that tells you anything
I'm in a similar predicament regarding 42 or 50". What are the recommended viewing distances? I'm having trouble finding a clear answer on this.

·
Registered
447 Posts
jcinzano,

I would recommend using the:

Viewing Distance Calculator

I usually would not go more then 8ft with a 42/43" or smaller and 10ft and above go with 50"

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker
jcinzano,

I usually would not go more then 8ft with a 42/43" or smaller and 10ft and above go with 50"

Take Care,

Richard

thanks for the rec.

though about that calculator, gotta say, any viewing distance calculator that lumps TVs, plasmas and projectors all together isn't really giving you useable info. i mean, there's very different distances for ED vs. HD, let alone plasma vs. projector.

·
Registered
447 Posts
jcinzano,

It is just a starting point. That was why I listed some distances with Plasma sizes too. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker
jcinzano,

Take Care,

Richard
What's your advice if the viewing distances differ? I'll have my TV in a location where depending on where people sit, distance could be between 6-12'. An immersive experience isn't critical to me, but I don't want the 42" to get lost in the distance from 12'. At the same time, I've noticed the a picture quality degradation in the 50" within 6-8'...so I can't decide which size to get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
With the anticipated msrp cuts...
Sorry to hijack here, but what sort of price cuts are we talking about here? I'm about to buy a th42pd50u because I've been following pricing for it since it's release and there's a smoking deal for it now...I'll wait though if the MSRP is expected to drop prior to th enew year.

·
Registered
447 Posts
cmonsammy,

This is my opinion on staggered distances. I would go with the distance that would most often be used. If you can I would make the 10 to 12ft range the main seating, setup your room accordingly and go with a 50". I started looking at 42/43" Plasmas, but the more I looked and read, I found the best options out there are the 50". When you sit 6ft from a 50" it does not look that bad watching SD and when watching HD, it still looks very good.

For the people at 12ft, they will really enjoy the 50" screen. You can go to a B&M with a tape measure and mark out 6, 8 10, & 12ft. do it for both 42 & 50" screens, see what you think.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am wondering what type of stuff you view? If you view a lot of HD material at 10 feet, I'd personally go with a 50 inch plasma or larger. For dvds at 8 feet, I prefer the 42 inch plasma size. Part of this, believe it or not relates to how you like Audio. What I mean is if you like earth shaking volume for all of your movies and TV watching, then a 50 inch at least makes more sense. Video and audio levels complement each other and neither should overwhelm the other. Lots of my DVD watching is for foreign films or films like " P.S" with a lot of dialog and no U-571 depth charges; I still crank the subs for master and Commander etc but 42 really works for me as a DVD only viewer.

Also, I dont know if 42 HD Panny sets this year solved the black level changing problem and also one poster said you cant adjust grey-scale on the consumer 42HDs--both deal killers for me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right now, i don't even have an HD set. i purchased a 32 toshiba crt a year and half ago with the plan to bide my time for the FP prices to come down. so right now i'm HD-less, how lame is that.... once i get it, i figure viewing will shake out to a pretty even split -- 1/3 SD, 1/3 HD, 1/3 DVDs (and, on rare occasion, some gaming).

live in an apartment and cannot crank the audio, but would like some immersive-esque qualities to the picture

·
Registered
447 Posts
jcinzano,

I do not find that lame at all. I think it is smart coming here and reading all you can along with asking questions.

I am using a cheap 27" LCD to tide me over until the Pio I am looking for is released and the price stabilizes. I keep going to B&Ms and looking at the different models after I have measured the distances to see as close as I can what it will look like at home.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Sorry to hijack here, but what sort of price cuts are we talking about here? I'm about to buy a th42pd50u because I've been following pricing for it since it's release and there's a smoking deal for it now...I'll wait though if the MSRP is expected to drop prior to th enew year.
There's already a thread or three about the supposed upcoming Panasonic price reductions.

If you search back through the past few days of threads you can usually find one that doesn't require hijacking an unrelated thread. We try to stay on-topic here :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.