AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a silly question but let me try to summarise my concern. I was about to buy a Sony Wega 38'' CRT and quite happy with its performance. The price was 3400 USD . I did not consider thePlasmas because of my budget .

But then I saw Panny TH-42PWD4 with its price around 5900 USD . I actually want to buy that one but some say that Panny 42 with its resolution 800 x 400 (this might not be exact , sorry for that ) will be no use to buy as it won't create the image quality as on Sony CRT ???? Should I go for better resolution Plasmas ?

Sorry for this funny (but important for me) question

:)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You need to look at them side by side. I saw the 40 Wega next to the Panny and thought the Panny looked better. Plus I think the 16x9 is the way to go now.

Careful with the resolution. With the panny they quote the actual resoution. What is the resolution of the Sony? Yes its an analog device but it has limited resolution. Lookign at it next to the Panny it was hard for my eyes to beleive that it was higher resolution than the plasma. Of course for just a few more bucks you can get a Pioneer 43 with 1024x768 resolution (something like that).

By the way, watch out for 1024x1024 "resolution" 42 inch displays. The 1024 lines is a trick, the resolution is really 512 lines. Sony in fact is the fake 1024 line display.

Unfortunately, they do not typically quote the resolution on a tube set. I have never seen any resolution quote from Sony on a tube or rptv.

So let your eyes decide and don't forget the cost of a crane rental to install the Sony.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ok, I found the perfect thread for you:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87751

Check out Pete Putman's comments about screen rez of RPTVs.

As for the Apeture grill that Sony direct view CRTs use they are limited to a horizontal rez (vertical lines) of 721 or 723 (can't remember which but it's one of those) because of the physical limitations of packing those wires in.

Main point is though, don't get hung up on resolution. You could check out the link mentioned in the above thread where someone really gets their teeth into the resolution subject but the bottom line is, you have to see for yourself if there really is a difference to your eyes.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IUnknown

By the way, watch out for 1024x1024 "resolution" 42 inch displays. The 1024 lines is a trick, the resolution is really 512 lines. Sony in fact is the fake 1024 line display.
Where did you get that?

Sony is a true 1024x1024 Plasma.

That means it have real over one million pixel.

What you are saying that Sony only cut the resolution of 720p (progressive) to 512 lines. 512 lines mode exist only with this signal.

Anyway, this type of signal it not much common and it never will be.

In HDTV mode Sony shows every single vertical line (1080) - without decompressing them.

No other Plasma can do that. In order to reproduce a HDTV source other plasma must convert them (with scalars) to 480 lines. But this "is not just the same" :)

Mark

·
Registered
299 Posts
For some odd reason I seem doomed to forever try and explain the Fujitsu sourced 1024x1024 glass :)

First, it really does have 1024x1024 individual dots that are capable of being iluminated.

The only catch is that it can only illuminate 512 lines at a time due to the structure of the electrodes which allows the pixels to be placed much closer together than is usual.

So it illuminates every other line in one frame then switches rapidly to the missing lines. It is an interlaced display.

It makes it a unique display since as mentioned above it can show a 1080i signal with only a few lines clipped from the top and bottom of the image.

The subject of it's image quality and general comparison to other plasma's I'll leave to others to comment on, but as an interlaced plasma it is unique as far as I know.

Mark

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I guess I should have checked my sources on the Sony. Sorry.

I have seen the Sony PFM 42B1U and the picture IMHO is not comparable to the Panny or Fuji in terms of quality. This is more a contrast color issue than a resolution issue.

Maybe the issue here is that Sony is due for a new model with a competitive contrast ratio. I noticed on a sales site the Sony KZ42TS1 which was $1,500 more expensive. Does anyone know if this is new glass or just TV bells and whistles?

"Sony's new plasma TVs, with integrated NTSC tuner and stereo speakers"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.