AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have their set-up calibrated to run well with a combination of the 42" HD Panny plasma and the Panny RP-82 player?

I'm curious as to what settings people have for this player via the component input, because i seem to get an awful lot of graininess no matter how i adjust the player (via black enhancement, cinema mode, etc.) and the set itself (via standard controls and black expansion).

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting note!

I just replaced my old Apex non progressive component out DVD player with an RP82 set for progressive mode. I had the set calibrated for the Apex - figuring things should't vary that much, I left the settings alone for the RP82.

what I found was that the Apex had superior picture to the RP82 - Which SHOULD_NOT_BE_THE_CASE!!! I too see "graininess" with the RP82, where with the Apex, the picture was smooth and clean. I havent tried the RP82 in interlace mode, nor have I messed with the MPEG filter features of the RP82 yet. I do have the color and contrast settings perfect though - just can't nail that graininess. This is very strange since the RP82 gets high marks for it's price/performance offering.

H.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ECM
Does anyone have their set-up calibrated to run well with a combination of the 42" HD Panny plasma and the Panny RP-82 player?
I have this exact set up. I haven't noticed graininess. (I hope I don't now.) Both are new units. I'm not doing anything special that I'm aware of. I believe I remember needing to enable progressive output in the RP-82's setup pages. When I switch between the cinema modes I haven't noticed any difference - I don't know what they do.

After hearing that Amelie had great PQ for a DVD, I rented it this weekend. Beautiful picture. Not quite as good as an HDTV broadcast, but very nearly so. I have noticed different DVDs have different qualities (and have since read about anamorphic formatting.)

I have noticed graininess on occasion with some HDTV broadcasts. I saw it on Alias Sunday night. But since most shows don't have it, I assume it's the broadcast.

Erik

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to follow-up this thread with some additional notes:

I only experience graininess with certain DVDs and maybe someone on here is aware that these discs somehow differ from others. It's most noticeable on Black Hawk Down, Three Kings and Gladiator but is completely absent on Spiderman, AOTC, and Lord of the Rings--obviously there are others that fit into both categories, but I figure these are some of the more popular candidates.

Does anyone have any theories as to why the former DVDs are very grainy on this combo while the latter are breathtaking? Could it be that the former aren't actually anamorphic/widescreen enhanced? Could they perhaps benefit from the RP-91?

Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.