AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma ............ I am waiting for a Panasonic PWD6UY to be delivered sometime end of Feb beginning of March -- I went in to a local high end stereo store today and they had a Zenith P42W34 on display -- it was playing a dvd and it was gorgeous!!! -- Picture was beatiful.

I have not seen the Panasonic on display except for the HD feed at Best Buy (their consumer model). Will the Panny beat the Zenith in PQ??

The store was selling the Zenith display model for just shy of 3K including a desktop stand -- of course no idea how many hours on the set -- would you wait for the panny --- any opinions??

Also -- the Zenith has the Faroujdia processing -- any thoughts??

would love some feedback!

thanks

Shu

·
Registered
765 Posts
Shu, I was able to compare the Panasonic PA20 against several other brands side by side this past Monday at CC in Columbus GA....the only thing that compared to it was a Hitachi HD version, and I still would buy the Panasonic. Everything that I read says that Panny is #1, and now I am convinced beyond a shadow. You have ordered what I am going to order, so you will get yours before I get mine. You must be a quicker study !

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
...side by side, you WILL see the difference.

At your house, on the wall, watching a game, it will be difficult justifying to yourself why you spent several hundred to a thousand more for "blacker blacks".

Especially if you have a wife wanting a nicer vacation this year.!

To each his own,

but after having our 2 kids in 2.5 years, I did more maturing in 2.5 years than my entire lifetime of beer, fraternity, women, etc.

Priorities change.

"Blacker blacks????, are you insane"--my wife.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Actually the Panasonic model that was referenced is $255.00 less than the price that he was quoted for the Zenith. Since I am coming to the plasma from a Sony direct view XBR, anything that looks even slightly washed out will be distracting to me. P-George & the Mizzes, you have a very good point about not having the basis for comparison once you get the new toy home...and that's why I am leaning toward the ED version of the panel instead of the HD...I couldn't see $1,400.00 difference in the two sets. By the way, congratulations on the two kids, nothing in your life will ever give you as much joy as will they. You're lucky to have those years still in front of you !!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
After looking at many plasma set ups, Zeinith included, I decided on the panny.

I loved it so much, I bought 2!

The price point on the panny is a few hundred less than the Zeinith, and if you buy from an e-tailer, you could save a little more.

The PQ of these puppies, when fed an HD signal, is absolutely phenomenal!!

I know you won't be disappointed with this set.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, I did not buy the best cable, but purchased 3 ft gold cables from Radio Shack. About $10 dollars apiece.

I sit 8 ft from the 37" and 10 ft from the 42".

The PQ is quite good at these distances with the SD signal, and GREAT with the HD signal, and DVD.

I did pick up an A/V switcher to add an extra component input for use with the DVD, since the panny only has one component "in".

This was about $25 at Radio Shack.

It works great with the shorter run cables I'm using, but since it's a mechanical switcher, I have to move my ass off the couch to switch it for DVD use.

Cheers, VB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.