AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 42PWD7UY, purchased from Visual Apex when it first became available. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the image quality from DVD sources connected via component. Haven't had a chance to hook up my HD cable box yet and check HD out.

I use the Progressive Labs CA-6X software and Avia PRO to calibrate all my displays (also sold by Ovation as the OpticONE package). I've always been able to get very close to a perfect grayscale on everything; I've calibrated DLP projectors, tube TVs, and PC monitors. Having tried both a Denon 3910 and a Panny RP62 connected via component, I am unable to get a flat grayscale with the 42PWD7UY.

I'm forced to choose between too low a color temperature with too much green (around 6000K) in the 15-35 IRE range, or a severe blue cast at 10 IRE and below.

I've been through parts of the service menu, but haven't seen any spot to adjust the gamma tables. I have the gamma set to 2.2 in the user menu, but it's apparent that the factory settings for the gamma tables are out of whack.

Anyone know how to adjust the gamma tables in Panny plasmas?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With all the Panny fans on this forum, I'm a bit shocked that nobody knows anything about how to remedy this--or is, at the very least, concerned about it.

Is there no one else here who tossed up an IRE step pattern and noticed this problem?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Unfortunately, the 7UY is still very new. Currently, there are relatively few owners, and even fewer still with the necessary equipment to do gray scale calibration.

I assume that you are using a tristimulus colorimeter (hockey puck type). Are you sure that it is capable of reading accurately below 10 IRE? I rarely see any data below 20 IRE reported in gray scale plots. Unless you can take the readings in a totally dark environment, I suspect that the readings below 20 IRE will likely be inaccurate.

FYI, I used Colorfacts with the Trichromat-1 sensor to calibrate my Panny 5UZ and the grayscale is very flat (6500 ¹100°K) from 20 IRE to 100 IRE, but does rise slightly at 10 IRE. I pretty much ignore the data below 10 IRE.

Regards,

Steve

P.S. One other thought: Are you using the RGB adjustments in the service menu or in the Adavnced Settings menu? It could be that the adjustments in the Advaned menu are too coarse to do an accurate calibration.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's a tristimulus colorimeter. My actual readings are only from 20 to 100 IRE, and I'm able to get a very flat grayscale in that range. Putting up a step pattern makes the blue push at the lowest IREs visible.

If I eyeball it and lower blue cuts to bring the lower IREs in line, then the green push at the lower middle IREs becomes evident (and is measurable).

I used the service menu bias/gain adjustments to calibrate. The user menu adjustments are actually pretty granular though.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You may be right about the gamma tables, and it might even be intentional. I've read numerous times that if you must compromise (especially in the low IREs), blue tends to be the least objectionable.

Good luck,

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.