AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in the market for a 42" HDTV and after some research, have it down to these two Panny 42PX500U vs. Hitachi 42HDT52.


If price wasn't an issue, I think I'd prefer the Hitachi 42HDT52 (I've had and been happy with two previous non-HDTV panny models). But price is an issue and currently I can web order the panny for $$$$ delivered, whereas the only place I've seen the Hitachi is CC and it's for $$$$ plus tax!


Two questions:

1. Is paying a $500+ worth it for the hitachi

2. Does anyone know where I can get it for less.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Circuit City don't carry the HDT model, they carry the HDS.


The HDS and HDT models both have two HDMI inputs. Firewire hard drive recording on the HDT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
For what it's worth, I was at CC a week or so ago looking at the Hitachi and Panny. I frankly wanted to like the Hitachi better, but the Panny still did it for me. I felt the Panny had a sharper picture, although I must say the blacks on all the Panny's (42" and 50") did not show as much detail as some of the other sets (little shading/all black in dark areas such as black shirts and shorts the guy was wearing on the show that was on), but I am guessing/hoping they were not dialed in very well. I wanted to like the Hitachi because of the features and aesthetics. I personally, will end up going for the picture quality over the aesthetics when the time comes to pull the trigger. Do not recall the model of Hitachi I was looking at, although I believe it was one of the 42/50***52 series.


Tim T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry- CC doesn't have it yet; I've found one place in Wa that has the hitachi, but they don't answer their phone, so I called hitachi direct and they say it's available end of August.


So, other than esthetics, on paper only main difference is in Hard Drive recording and inputs... Does anyone know if you can take the HD and copy the files onto a pc and view them directly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I should also mention that the colors looked better on the Panny. The other sets I was looking at were the new Samsungs and Sony. For my money, Panny looked the best, but they were all relatively close and probably not very well calibrated. The Sony fared the worst to me.


Tim T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
What is the difference, other than the DVR, between the 42HDS52/42HDF52 (inputs it seems between these 2) and the 42HDT52? Are the electronics the same with the addition of more features in the **HDT52 sets, i.e will the picture be the same?


Tim T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I believe the Hitachis are using the ALiS 1024x1024? Does anyone have experience with this resolution? On paper it would appear that a 720p signal would be converted to 1024, however, only 512 lines would show at a time. It sounds like interlaced 1024?? Is this correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tterral
For what it's worth, I was at CC a week or so ago looking at the Hitachi and Panny. I frankly wanted to like the Hitachi better, but the Panny still did it for me. I felt the Panny had a sharper picture, although I must say the blacks on all the Panny's (42" and 50") did not show as much detail as some of the other sets (little shading/all black in dark areas such as black shirts and shorts the guy was wearing on the show that was on), but I am guessing/hoping they were not dialed in very well. I wanted to like the Hitachi because of the features and aesthetics. I personally, will end up going for the picture quality over the aesthetics when the time comes to pull the trigger. Do not recall the model of Hitachi I was looking at, although I believe it was one of the 42/50***52 series.


Tim T.
The black level setting on the Panny should be set to "light" to get good shadow detail. You might check this setting when you're performing comparisons. I agree, the Hitachi's look VERY impressive on paper and have some great features, but I've yet to see one beat the Panny in PQ. I've noticed poor black levels and a soft image on the new Hitachi models I've seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan9999
Hi, I'm in the market for a 42" HDTV and after some research, have it down to these two Panny 42PX500U vs. Hitachi 42HDT52.


If price wasn't an issue, I think I'd prefer the Hitachi 42HDT52 (I've had and been happy with two previous non-HDTV panny models). But price is an issue and currently I can web order the panny for $$$$ delivered, whereas the only place I've seen the Hitachi is CC and it's for $$$$ plus tax!


Two questions:

1. Is paying a $500+ worth it for the hitachi

2. Does anyone know where I can get it for less.


Thanks!
Thought I would add my two cents in. As of right now, I very much doubt the price you mentioned for the Panny is a legitimate dealer. I would double check with resellerratings or pricegrabber merchant reviews. Your quoted price is currently less than the wholesale price from some distributors. I would be very cautions about any internet dealer making that offer. Watch for add-ons (there's no warranty so you gotta buy one for $400.00), or claims that it is refurbished and the inevitable upsell to a "new" unit. There is one internet-only dealer who has it for less and who is legitimate, but their price is still a little more than you mentioned.


Also, if you are in the market, be aware that there was some information on the new panny thread (page 120) that Panasonic will be lowering Plasma prices on August 28 by 500-1000 on all their consumer plasmas. It may be worth the wait.


DarrenK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I just bought the Panny 42px500u for $$$$ shipped and it should arrive tomorrow. I cannot wait! Anyone suggest a solid DVD that I can buy to calibrate it? I searched and searched and XXXX is the lowest I could get it for from a reputable dealer. A couple sites had it for a similar price but jumped it back up the next day.

Hope this pricing didn't break rules, just trying to be helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecor
The black level setting on the Panny should be set to "light" to get good shadow detail. You might check this setting when you're performing comparisons. I agree, the Hitachi's look VERY impressive on paper and have some great features, but I've yet to see one beat the Panny in PQ. I've noticed poor black levels and a soft image on the new Hitachi models I've seen.
Which new model have you seen ?


Thanks !


jhl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
I compared a 42HDF52 with the Pan 50U model, the Hitachi looked better, much less posterization effects, which is the main thing I was looking for. I did play with both settings too.


The 42HDT52 is available from some stores now, I personally think its paying a little more in the form of taxes, incase something is not right with the tv right from the start. Having to pay to ship it back once will wipe out any savings by buying online.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Does anybody know anything about the Hitachi 42HDM12 that Sears is selling. Price is very competitive. I know Sears has weird model number, so does anyone know which model this corresponds to? Any comments or reviews? It seem very well priced for a B&M.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Here's a suggestion Juan, for what it's worth...If you live in WA and you're paying somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 for something, why not travel south to Portland and get what you need without any sales tax. On a plasma, it might be worth the drive...even with $3 gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I am interested in the Panasonic 42PX50U and was told about the new Hitachi 42HDT52 coming in a couple days by an employee at VO. The employee also said that last years Hitachi model was rated higher by CNET. This Hitachi has a higher resolution than the Pananonic.


I know that among consumers, the Panasonic is more popular and it seems that the image quality is a little nicer than last years Hitachi. I'm wondering how the new Hitachi will fair?


Also, as this will be my first HD TV... with the new Hitachi having 1024x1024 resolution and the Panasonic not, how will that translate to image quality?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlaw
What's the difference between Hitachi HDT52 and HDX62? What stores sell these anyway?
The 42HDX62 - in addition has the following:

film quality image tuning ;

custom color temperature ;

adjustable color decoder ;

auto color ;

deep black anti-reflective glass screen.


2 year parts and labor warranty

in-home service. T52 has one

year only.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top