AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get the Toshiba for about $300 more than the Panny, if I also purschase an extended warranty. This is from a regional A/V B&M (Ultimate Electronics). I do not know what the return policy is , yet, so I will check that out, but all things being equal what are your suggesstions. I will say that when viewed side by side without any adjustments (they said the remotes were hard to find - BS) the 2 sets looked very good. I thnk the Panny had a slightly sharper picture, but again I have know idea what the settings were. Seemed pretty obvious they were both in torch mode, though. This set is for my girlfriend who likes both. I have been looking for almost a year for one myself (50") so I have seen a number of the locally available sets.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
They are both great sets. I imagine you have searched the forums here. There are multiple posts on both sets.

I am looking at both sets also. In fact- if I could find the toshiba hpx95- I would go with that. Two additional features including a second hdmi connection I believe. The hpx95 is tougher to find.

It will come down to personal preference and price. Cant go wrong with either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can do without the extra HDMI and the network connectivity, you might want to consider the 42HP95 which has an MSRP that is $500 less than the 42HPX95.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you go with the HP over the HPX realize that some have posted small issues with sound.I have a HPX and i have not read any problems that people have had about it.I had a choice between THAT Panny($) the Toshiba HPX ($$) and the Hitachi ($$$).I read and read and visited the store about 4 times.By the end the Toshiba stood out and i felt confident.But i do like buying my electronics with extras that i might not even need at the time such as inputs.Remember that any choice is not a bad one.Go with you gut feeling and go in there with some DVDs that you know well.I noticed that the Panny blacks in the store i went to were a little too dark that they lost detail.Hitachi wasn't black enough and the Toshiba was just right.I have no regrets and why not hook up a PC?Plus insert memory cards for dig pics.Here check it all out for yourself. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...HPX95_spec.pdf

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Personally I think the $300 is well worth the extra features of the Tosh... PC input, PoP, better speakers, extra HDMI, you can stretch HD, individual color control... need I go on? Made my decision very easy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up getting the Panny over the Toshiba. I, too, like the better connection options and sound of the Toshiba, but we had a width problem in her entertainment center. The 2 sets differ by around an inch in width (the Toshiba being wider) and we had what we thought was maybe a half inch to spare on the Panny. After getting the TV home I realized that the Toshiba would most likely have fit, but we are certainly not disappointed with the Panny, great picture. I we were to do it all over again, we might have gone with the Toshiba. Bottom line is that both have very good PQ, which is the main thing for us.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.