AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I just adjust your gray scale by eye. It's the best way to do it." That's what the Sears tech just said to me. I am about ready to go Postal. I cannot believe the utter incompetence of Sears Service, or my luck. This dolt, who is a very nice guy, admitted my set looked much "too hot." He made some internal adjustments and my Red Push is certainly less as a result. Maybe 10% (it was 25% before), But Blue is about 25% UNDER and Green is also 25% under (using Avia test pattern). How do we fix that? The tech guy hadn't a clue and had no equipment. He actually said to me, "I have a hard time with green & blue." How the hell is he going to do it by eye if he cannot tell green from blue?!!

MALATA owners & 47" PANNY owners: The Streaking problem I have talked about, well, it does not show up while using S-Video on my Malata DVD player. I hooked up my old Toshiba and it doesn't show it either. But the Malata using Component cables DOES show streaks on the Panny. So I am taking it down to Sears to see if it exhibits the problem on their floor HDTV's.

Does anyone here have both the Malata & the 47" Panasonic? I need to know if you are experiencing any streaking. The best way to spot it is to play the DTS Trailer. If the blue bleeds to the right and streaks, then you have it. There should be no bleeding whatsoever. COMPONENT only. It won't show on S-Video.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I really need HELP here! I just went to SEARS and the MALATA exhibits the STREAKING problem on the floor model Panasonic 47". It also does it on the version with the contrast screen.

But it does NOT do the streaking on the 43" Sony HDTV or the 36" Wega! Needless to say, this makes no sense.

I really need the Malata owners that have RP HDTV's to check the following DVD's for me...

In particular, check out the DTS Trailer from T2 (it's also on Shiri & many other titles). The Blue part will streak to the right on my TV. Just pause it when the logo is about finished. It's clear as day on my screen.

The opening credits from SUPERMAN streak to the right. Once each credit goes into focus, the streaking is visible.

On PRINCESS MONONOKE, play it with Japanese & English subtitles. The opening Yellow title and some subtitles will streak to the right.

I need to know if this is an issue of player & TV incompatibility, or that my player is somehow screwed up and replacing it will solve my problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already did that. I already tried all the filter settings. I tried everything in the menu, both user and expert. It makes no difference.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know if anyone is listening, but I finally nailed down the problem. When an S-Video cable is also plugged into the Malata, it causes interference. Pulled it out and presto, no more streaking. Bloody incredible. Right in front of me the entire time.

Now I need to deal with the disaster the Sears Service guy left me. My set is so out of whack now that I fear I will need it ISF'd to fix. The three little knobs he messed with inside the set (behind the speaker grill) are for red, green and blue. By turning them, I now have a set that, according to Avia, needs color at 44! But that is wrong, because it only looks normal around 24. After a night of using Avia and VE, I have determined that the Service guy completely screwed up my set!

Is it possible to set everything back to defaults, so that I can start from scratch? I tried setting the sub-menu's to defaults, but that made everything look worse than Torch Mode. This guy truly f***ed things up for me and I AM NOT PAYING AN ISF TO FIX IT! This is SEAR's responsibility.

Should I call Panasonic and tell them what happened and ask for assistance, or should i just tell Sears to get a trained ISF guy out here or I want another set?

I cannot stress how bad things are now that this "do it by eye" nimrob got his hands inside my brand new baby. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

·
Registered
856 Posts
Matt - If I had as many problems with the people from Sears as you seem to have had, I probably wouldnt involve them in the service of any more TV's.

[This message has been edited by RScogland (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem is, no manufacturer will work on a set sold through Sears because Sears' warranty supersedes the manufacturer's. This is what Panasonic told me and I called Sony to verify and they said yes. So I am stuck with Sears. Period.

I cannot get a refund. It's complicated, but that option is out. So I will either have them replace my Panny with another and slowy, carefully make my adjustments and have it ISF'd in 3 months, or I will go with the new 43" Sony and be stuck with a 4:3 TV. But I think I risk burning my CRT's if I do, as I watch 80% widescreen material.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens:
I cannot get a refund. It's complicated, but that option is out. So I will either have them replace my Panny with another and slowy, carefully make my adjustments and have it ISF'd in 3 months, or I will go with the new 43" Sony and be stuck with a 4:3 TV. But I think I risk burning my CRT's if I do, as I watch 80% widescreen material.
Did you pay using a credit card? If so, since you purchased locally, you can dispute the charge with them and let them deal with Sears.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid with a Sears credit card.

They are replacing my set, no questions asked. We'll see what happens this time. One thing I do know, Sears ain't getting near it if anything ever goes wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.