AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I currently own a Panasonic 42' 720p plasma and have loved it so far (1.5 yrs). Were in the market for a 46 - 50" for the basement HT. I hit a few stores up tonight and found the 50" Panny 720p at $899 and the 46" 1080p for $999. Basically the same price. Sorry I don't remember the model numbers.

In the store I don't think I could see any difference in the two from 8-9 feet away (seating distance). Granted the signal was probably split 100 times and the sets were not next to each other.

From 8-9 feet away, would I really notice the extra 4 inches? Also would I notice the picture quality difference between the 1080p 46" and the

50" 720p at that distance.

Usage will likely be about be 50% up-converted dvd watching, 25% blu-ray, 15% hdtv sports, 10% video gaming

For what its worth i'm downsizing from a front projector throwing an 84" diagonal image watching from 11 feet back. PJ died and i'm sick of goin thru bulbs. They never last as long as they're suppose to.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
A 50'' 720 is going to look bad from your viewing distance, especially if it's an economy model. Then again, 46'' is kind of small for a home theater. Given your price constraint I'd really have to recommend the 46'' because it's honestly not like 50'' is that much bigger.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i disagree with the above poster. I am watching the BCS game right now on my 50" Panny 720 P from exactly 8 feet and the picture is incredible. FOX HD is broadcasting in 720P and i see ZERO pixelation picture is glass smooth and clear. Get the 50 PX80 over the 42 as 8 inches is a difference----- you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Coming from a PJ the 50" will look razor sharp- and really small. Stick with as large a display as you can afford.

For what it's worth I recently was faced with the same dilemna and I went for the 46".

My decision was based more on the fact that the 46" fit my stand better and the version I bought had a matte finish which I really prefer over the gloss. I still wonder if I made the right choice- 46" isn't "big".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts