AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I've had a Panny 508UK for a few years now. Very, very happy with it! I just got a panny BD35 blue-ray player. Since I only have one hdmi blade, I got a Monoprice 2x1 switch.

The problem is, I'm not that "wowed" by the pq from the BD35. Someone said I should check the display settings on the 8uK, and when I did, its shows the connection for input 1 as "component / RGB om Select". And its grayed out where I can't select it to change it.

I'm assuming that since the blade is in that slot, it knows its hdmi. Is that right? Any reason you can think of that the BD35 pq is just ok, not "wow!".

thx!

goMO

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Check out the Blu Ray forum. I just bought a BR player and looked at the Panny 35/55, Samsung 2550 and Sony. The general consensus is that the Sony PQ is very soft. They say Panny 35/55 is a great player. But the one that seems to be gaining cult status is the Samsung 2500/2550 because of the Reon chip it uses. The logic is that all BR player within a price range perform equally well on BR, but it's how a player handles SD DVD upconversion which is what separates them and the consensus is that the Reon chip does it best in it's price range. I ended up buying the 2550 and it does a great job on SD DVDs

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, my main question is regarding the description its giving on the display, saying "component rgp...." as opposed to hdmi.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMO /forum/post/15586584

...Someone said I should check the display settings on the 8uK, and when I did, its shows the connection for input 1 as "component / RGB om Select". And its grayed out where I can't select it to change it.

That "Component / RGB-IN Select" selection is under the "Setup" button menu and should normally be left on "Auto" select mode (grayed out). That allows the 50-8UK to automatically choose RGB or YCC color space, depending on what the player is sending (usually YCC for video; RGB for games).

The Picture settings are under the "PICTURE" button menu, and include Color Temp, Picture (Contrast), Brightness, Color, Tint, and Sharpness. The Advanced Picture menu is also available for more advanced settings, some of which require instrument (colorimeter) calibration.

The AVS Display Calibration forum has many posts on optimal calibration setting. Disney's Ratatouille disk includes a particularly easy to use set of visual calibration screens for adjusting the Picture menu settings.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! So under the "setup" menu where it shows "component..." how do I change that? What should it be when its an hdmi connection?

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:

Someone said I should check the display settings on the 8uK, and when I did, its shows the connection for input 1 as "component / RGB om Select". And its grayed out where I can't select it to change it.

The "COMPONENT/RGB SELECT" option is only available for Component/RGB and PC inputs.

Try connecting the BD35 straight to the Panny 8UK and check if there's any improvement.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMO /forum/post/15590570

Thanks! So under the "setup" menu where it shows "component..." how do I change that? What should it be when its an hdmi connection?

Since there's no HDMI option (Only INPUT1 - VIDEO1 - COMPONENT1 - RGB1 - DIGITAL1 - PC1 - DVD1 - CATV1 - VCR1 - STB1)

Use "DIGITAL 1".

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx Gx35 (yeah, I want one of those cars!!). I thought those were just labels and didn't have any impact on the signal. I just tried it and although the label now says "Digital 1", it still shows "component - rgb..." I even pulled the power cord and tried it.

I'm assuming its giving me the best pq possible, but its just weird that its showing "component"

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:

I'm assuming that since the blade is in that slot, it knows its hdmi. Is that right? Any reason you can think of that the BD35 pq is just ok, not "wow!".

Have you tried without the switch box in the loop to see if that could be causing the problem?

As for the Component / RGB Select, that cannot be changed for the HDMI board (as someone already noted above). Instead, the HDMI board will pick the colorspace automatically based on what the connected device is outputting at a given time.

You also might try plugging the device in via analog component input to see if there is a big difference in PQ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts