AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i never thought i would even look at LED/LCD as i've always been a plasma guy.

But with the recent Panny black level problems, i'm broadening my search.

Some constraints of this question of course are:

1. Not many people have the G20 yet

2. Even fewer would have seen both these panels.

BUT

Does anyone have any thoughts on this comparison?

My biggest concern with the LCD is viewing angles, blooming, and that general LCD-like look that drew me to Plasmas.

My biggest concern with the Plasma is the rising black levels, which was another reason that drew me to plasmas in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i found a store that had an 55LH90 on display.

It was set up in a darker room with other larger panels, so the lighting was a bit better to evaluate. I saw it beside a Samsung 8500 led, and thought the LG had much better viewing angles.

The bezel and enormouse circular stand though on the LH90 is something i'd have to get used to..

heck, the 55" may be too big to begin with in the room i have in mind. i can see it overwhelming the space. oh and the GAF as well.

there was a Samsung 850 plasma beside them all, which understandably didn't have the piercing brightness of the LEDs but looked good nevertheless.

decisions decisions..

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol well we're common law and bought our first home together. Pretty much "married" without being married. Marriage is a useless tradition imo

·
Registered
324 Posts
I will go for 55LH90 just for peace of mind. The thought of possible rising blackness on Panasonic Plasma can turn me off completely. To me, this issue is far more worse than viewing angle and motion blur on 55LH90. 55LH90 has an excellent blackness level when local dimming feature is turned on. But I am basically a LCD guy so I am biased. Take my opinion with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there any other models you would look at besides the LH90? It seems like a pretty good bang for the buck tv, other than its ugly bezel.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
In that price range, I think the LH90 is the LCD that I would get. I'd maybe consider the VF551XVT if I could find a really low clearance price on it. I was at a Wal-Mart yesterday, and I think they had it marked down to $1,500 at that store. But the VF551XVT is an ugly TV -- uglier than the LH90, and the LH90 is not attractive. And personally, I'd be more comfortable buying an LG than a Vizio. So I'd probably just get the LH90.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is $1999 CDN a decent price for the LH90? Most stores i've seen it were around $2499 a few weeks ago

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Well FWIW, it seems that Vizio's next local dimming model will not be as ugly as the LH90, 551, or 552. These are the dimensions:

55LH90: 54.1" x 38.0" x 4.2" (17.9")

XVT553SV: 52.2” x 35.2” x 3" (13”)

MSRP will be $2,200 in the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also trying to decide between an LH90 and a G25. I bought a Samsung C450 plasma in an attempt to save money, and while I am reasonably happy with the picture in general, I just can't stand the reflectiveness of the screen. Even a small amount of ambient light turns the screen into a mirror, and dark scenes are not viewable, imo, unless the room is close to pitch black. So, I guess I am wondering how much difference there is in reflectiveness between the LG and the Panasonic? I can tolerate a bit of reflection, but not the extreme reflection of the Samsung. I am leaning towards the G25, but I'm really not sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was in the same boat as you all, trying to decide between a panny... well actually I was set on a panny but then I saw some of the great reviews on the 55LH90 and after MUCH thought, I went with the 55LH90.

Why?
  • Didn't want to have increasing black levels (which WILL still happen on 2010 models, just in smaller increments)
  • Fantastic calibration options on the LG
  • LED = significantly less consumed power than plasma (less money to run AND being greener if that's your cup of tea)
  • Great price for a backlit LED
  • A little less reflective than the panny when compared

Thoughts...

I couldn't be happier with the decision I made especially for the great prices they are going for. After calibration (just trying diff. members suggestions), I've become even happier although I'm tweaking too much just for fun! Blacks are great and the set has very realistic colors. Some downsides are the bezel is just ehhhh, certainly not as sleek as the new LGs but it does make the TV look larger than it is. Also, the stand platform takes up a lot of room. Motion judder can be seen with trumotion off, which I like off because it looks too 3Dish (soap opera effect).

Good luck and both sets are great and vast improvements over anything more than a few years old.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks !

but i think i will be going with the 60pk550 .. still have some time to make up my mind, but i am leaning towards it right now

- it's very reflective, but my room can easily be light controlled, no large windows or anything.

- same LG level of calibration controls

- awesome price for a 60"

- black levels shouldn't rise and measured a respectable 0.013 in Chad B's review

- actually physically measures the same or smaller in some aspects as the 55LH90, but you get 5" more in screen size! just shows how massive the bezel is on the lh90.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist /forum/post/18470177

Thanks !

but i think i will be going with the 60pk550 .. still have some time to make up my mind, but i am leaning towards it right now

- it's very reflective, but my room can easily be light controlled, no large windows or anything.

- same LG level of calibration controls

- awesome price for a 60"

- black levels shouldn't rise and measured a respectable 0.013 in Chad B's review

- actually physically measures the same or smaller in some aspects as the 55LH90, but you get 5" more in screen size! just shows how massive the bezel is on the lh90.

Great choice too!

I was really giving the LG PKs a look but unfortunately I have a giant window directly behind my viewing area, thus a GIANT reflection of light cast towards the TV and the reflections I saw at Sears on the PKs wasn't going to cut it.

Other than that, which isn't an issue for you, its one sweet and stylin' looking set!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts