AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened: Time Warner cable did something to my Pace high-def box and now nothing will display because "The DVI input on your television does not support HDCP. Please connect using componect cables."

I can't find my manual and my search of the Panasonic site is not bringing up the manual either. Does the 50LC13 support HDCP through DVI or did I make a big mistake 2 months ago when I bought it?

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
The 50LC13 does support HDCP. However a lot of cable box DVI port support are so flaky that a lot of TVs have trouble maintain an error free connection through DVI. You can try unplug your cable box and let it restart and/or unplug the DVI cable and retry it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dave

From the Panny operating instruction manual, LSQT0734B, page 20 under "How to connect the DIGITAL IN terminal:

"By inputting a High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection high defination picture source to the DIGITAL IN terminal of this projection display, high-defination pictures can be displayed on the screen in their digital form (This terminal is for use in the future when High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection DTV decoders, DVD players, and D-VHS are put on the market"

Under the Notes section, third bullet down:

"If no picture is displayed because the DTV Decoder output cannot be set, use the component Video Input, S-Video Input, or Video input. This will display the picture as an analog signal."

It sure sounds like a STB problem to me.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone, thanks a million for your help! After having Time Warner reset the box twice I thought all was lost. I went ahead and unplugged it from the wall and unplugged the DVI cable from the box and the TV. I reconnected the DVI cable and turned the box on and everything seems to be working now. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way.

I did notice something, though. The picture quality between component high-def and DVI high-def on this Panny is almost a night and day difference. Everything is so much sharper with DVI.

Again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Me too. Wonder how long does it take Cox to wake up and send some updates to my HD box to activate the DVI port? Then again, since these updates don't work quite reliably yet from all the reports I read in HDTV Hardware forum, maybe its a good thing to wait for a stable update.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed the difference on the high-def channels and in the channel guide. There's just a lot more crispness with DVI. I was watching INHD with some good demo material that really showed the difference. There were several fields of flowers and plants (don't laugh!) and the image was much more pronounced with the DVI connection. There was no fuzziness between the flowers and the edges were much, much, MUCH sharper. The regular channels look a little sharper but, to me, they still look like garbage. I will say this: I hope I never have to watch high-def with component cables again, at least with this set.

King of Queens isn't looking half bad right now. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, everything crapped out again. This time I sent an email to Time Warner San Antonio and here's what they had to say (hopefully the formatting doesn't get screwed up). Basically I'm screwed until they get this figured out!

Pace Micro Technology Americas

DVI/HDCP Update

Pace has currently released software version 1.301.2.12 to SARA sites. Under this release, the DVI/HDCP implementation that was described in Time Warner Corporate Memo titled "DVI Implementation - High Definition Set Top Boxes" has been implemented. However, in certain televisions that are labeled as HDCP compatible, Pace has observed some television specific issues. Currently, Pace believes that our DVI/HDCP implementation is within spec, but these issues could be related to either a particular television's implementation of HDCP or other issues such as Data Corruption when sent from a particular television. In Pace's preliminary analysis, the following Televisions have exhibited the following Symptoms.

Manufacturer

Model Number

Symptom

Sony

34AZXVR910

After some power downs and power ups, the HDCP connection is lost between the Pace 550 and the Television.

Samsung

HLN617W

Never Display Video from DVI port. (Could be HDCP Compatibility issue with the Television.)

Samsung

HLN4365W

While using DVI to watch cable channels, the subscriber switches to a DVD using Component output. After the switch back, the black screen with the incompatibility message is displayed.

Mitsubishi

WS-65413

Television does not pass EDID data.

Panasonic

PT50LC13

Television intermittently drops the video and shows the message on the DVI connection.

The current work around for these particular television models is to merely use the component output. Due to the large number of television types, Pace is still collecting more data from sites to determine more issues if any may arise. However, due to the large number of televisions, Pace does not anticipate testing all televisions for DVI/HDCP compatibility. This is an issue from the manufacturer itself. They are currently working on the problem. Until further notice, component video cables need to be used.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveGill
The current work around for these particular television models is to merely use the component output. Due to the large number of television types, Pace is still collecting more data from sites to determine more issues if any may arise. However, due to the large number of televisions, Pace does not anticipate testing all televisions for DVI/HDCP compatibility. This is an issue from the manufacturer itself. They are currently working on the problem. Until further notice, component video cables need to be used.
That's what's so great about complicated standards. There are so many things to go wrong. :( Our TV sets and asociated components have now moved up to the computer age... every vendor says "... it's not my fault!" and points to the other guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.