AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a poll in this forum for DLP viewing distance ratios, but I couldn't find anything about RP LCDs. I've got the Panny LC13 being delivered to Sears in about a week and I'm trying to see if my viewing distance will be acceptable. Right now the viewing distance is 9 ft. from the front of the TV to where my head would be in my recliner. With the new Panny I would likely be able to increase that to 10 ft. due to the thinner design. I won't be able to move the recliner further back though so I'm looking at a 10 ft. maximum. Should I be safe from this distance?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm at 9 to 10 feet from mine and that's fine for my tastes. From what I've read here I don't think you would want to be less than 8 feet or so. But hey, we're all different in that respect. Good luck with your LC13. I'm pretty happy with mine.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you notice any graininess or other issues from that distance? I guess I'm trying to limit that as much as possible. I don't know how much of that I'd actually see with my setup (DVD player, game consoles, and satellite dish feed) anyway as compared to what you see in stores like CC, and BB, etc. (CC is the only place I saw this one in person).

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm at 9 feet with my new 50LC13, and at least with DVD and HDTV, 9 feet is fine. I rarely watch SDTV on this set, so I can't really comment on that yet.

Just got the set today, and so far so good. It's a nice upgrade from my 45LC12, and the screen sits a nice bit lower too. Overall, well worth the upgrade...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, right now I've just got a 27" Phillips Flat Screen standard TV so I'm just trying to get an idea what I might be in for when I finally get my Panny.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Do you notice any graininess or other issues from that distance?
It's the property of the matte screen. There's no way around it. You'll notice them even more on certain DVDs.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However, that decreases with viewing distance... right? That's why I'm curious how far people are placing their sets away from the primary viewing spot(s).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickeleye
Well, right now I've just got a 27" Phillips Flat Screen standard TV so I'm just trying to get an idea what I might be in for when I finally get my Panny.
It'll feel like you're in a movie theatre for the first week or so. I've just gotten used to mine. I'm 10 feet away and have no SDE.

SD channels seem to be better than I originally thought but i'm sure it's my eyes & brain working something out between themselves to make sure i'm happy.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Arkid - Thanks for the reply. That's kind of the type of response I've been looking for. You're at a distance that I will likely also be at and you're watching SD tv like I am (do you have cable, satellite, etc.?) and that's also good to hear about the screen door effect.

Speaking of seeming like being in a movie theatre... I can't wait. It's going to be so cool! I wish I didn't have to wait another week. Hopefully Sears will get it from their warehouse sooner than the "expected" date.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.