AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Far as I know they are out. I just can't find any local dealers that have one on display-

·
Registered
798 Posts
They have started shipping as of last thursday. Opinions should start coming in this week.

Mine wont get here until next Monday......stay tuned!!

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is supposed to get here tomorrow sometime between 9am-1pm, hopefully. The MLB playoffs start tomorrow at 1pm so hopefully it will get here in time for that. I don't have my HDTV cable box yet, so I won't be watching it in HDTV, but I will have the XBox, DVD player, and ReplayTV hooked up to it. I'll probably also try the digital cable box (non-HD) just for PQ comparison sake, since it should look better than analog cable. People are probably more interested in the SD picture quality than HD anyway, so I'll let you know if/when I get it all setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I got mine and I've got it all hooked up, but I haven't done any calibrations yet, Avia has been shipped and should arrive in the next day or two. I turned brightness down, but beyond that I haven't changed much from factory settings.

DVD and XBox looked great. They were as good as I expected.

No HDTV yet, still waiting on the cable box from Comcast, but I have analog cable hooked up through my ReplayTV. It looks about as good as the same setup on my Sony Wega 33", that I've had for 4 years. Part of the problem is I'm sitting about 6 feet away, and the 50" screen is just huge. The only image quality problems have been when watching stuff recorded on ReplayTV. Unless it was recorded at a higher quality, the 50" screen magnifies all the compression artifacts from the ReplayTV. They were there on the Wega, but I'm used to watching from further away and a smaller screen, so I expected it to look worse. It is still watchable, but it isn't pretty by any means.

I'm using the composite inputs for the analog cable, because I've heard others suggest it offers a better picture. If I get around to it tomorrow, I'll drag the digital cable box in here and see if it is any better. I'll also probably compare S-Video to Composite to see which is better.

So far, I'm very pleased. Thank you lisa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.