AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all ready to order this set tomorrow and in another thread I heard that this tv automatically lowers the brightness levels? Is anyone that owns this set seeing this? Can this function be turned off? ALso, I used to own the older panny 50px20u and the picture was brownish at times. Is anyone seeing this? Any complaints at all on the pic quality? Also, since this is the industrial model that gives me the FULL service menu and that hidden menu, correct? (unlike the consumer models). I didn't like that about the consumer model.

I'll be hooking up a denon 2910 with hdmi if I get this set. Any comments before I order this set would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dvdguru
I was all ready to order this set tomorrow and in another thread I heard that this tv automatically lowers the brightness levels? Is anyone that owns this set seeing this? Can this function be turned off?
That applies only for Still images of a computer or other pictures

with minimal movements shown for an extended period.

Quote:
Also, since this is the industrial model that gives me the FULL service menu and that hidden menu, correct?
You probably meant " Advanced Picture Settings" and Hidden Menu.

Yes

Quote:

I'll be hooking up a denon 2910 with hdmi if I get this set. Any comments before I order this set would be appreciated. Thanks!
The optional HDMI Terminal board will be available around December.

nevermind the attachment

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bruzzi :) You answered many of my questions when I had the TH50pX20u. So, all the problems I had with the brown picture in certain circumstances and not being able to make all available adjustments in the service menu are corrected then with this set it sounds like. Any other comments or help is appreciated. I hope Plasma Concepts provides the BNC/Component adapters with the set?

Here's what I want with it. I have 3 options only, correct? If that's so I want 2 component and one dvi board for now if hdmi isn't available yet. So, what does it come with and what do I need to order as far as boards if that's the inputs I want? Also, I won't need the hdmi input come December if I get the dvi input now as video is the same, correct? The 2910 has dvi and hdmi outputs so I would be going dvi to dvi.

thanks

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dvdguru
Thanks Bruzzi
You answered many of my questions when I had the TH50pX20u. So, all the problems I had with the brown picture in certain circumstances and not being able to make all available adjustments in the service menu are corrected then with this set it sounds like. Any other comments or help is appreciated.
I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about "brownish picture" in a Industrial Model. So you're safe.

Quote:
I hope Plasma Concepts provides the BNC/Component adapters with the set?
They usually do.

Quote:
Here's what I want with it. I have 3 options only, correct? If that's so I want 2 component and one dvi board for now if hdmi isn't available yet. So, what does it come with and what do I need to order as far as boards if that's the inputs I want? thanks
Actually the display comes with:

Slot 1 = Empty

1 S-Video/Composite Board - installed on the slot 2

1 Component Board - Installed on the Slot 3

1 Component VGA (The VGA can be also used as a component) - Fixed Input

So you'll need to order just the DVI Board.

Quote:
Also, I won't need the hdmi input come December if I get the dvi input now as video is the same, correct? The 2910 has dvi and hdmi outputs so I would be going dvi to dvi.
Yup.

Quote:
thanks
You're Very Welcome

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, sounds good :) Oh, meant to ask have you seen this tv in action?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're planning on getting one that's good enough for me lol I think I'll order in the morning unless I hear otherwise from this thread. Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BruZZi
That applies only for Still images of a computer or other pictures

with minimal movements shown for an extended period.
Has anyone verified that this only applies to computer/still images? I notice the auto-dimming on the DVI input from my HTPC even if I'm rapidly re-sizing a window from super small to almost fullscreen (this is a good way to see it, actually). Tons of motion going on there (the re-sizing), and the picture dims rapidly as the % of screen space occupied by white increases.

I would guess the 50PHD7UY does this all the time on all sources as a part of the burn-in prevention. If we can come up with some good test material (on DVD, for example) I'd be glad to try it out over the component inputs.

An ideal test scene would have some small part of the screen remaining static and a large part of the screen suddenly displaying a lot of white. For example, if someone pulled a black drape off a white canvas for example, or a white van pulled in front of the camera.

edaly

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Dimming

Did the gen 6 do this?

Did the consumer 25?

I've been looking at DLPs but have recently added PDPs to my obsessive over "anal"izing :)

Any chance a "blade" could have 2 HDMI or DVI ports, or would 1 be the max?

Thanks

John E. Boy

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edaly
Has anyone verified that this only applies to computer/still images? I notice the auto-dimming on the DVI input from my HTPC even if I'm rapidly re-sizing a window from super small to almost fullscreen (this is a good way to see it, actually). Tons of motion going on there (the re-sizing), and the picture dims rapidly as the % of screen space occupied by white increases.

Edaly,

I had a chance to play with a TH-42PWD7UY Display for about 20 minutes. Source was a HD feed over the Component input. Picture Mode = Dynamic :)D) . There were plenty of very, very bright scenes (Since was using Dynamic Mode) most of the time and I couldn't see a difference in the brightness level at all. Perhaps it has something to do with the HTPC you are using??? Have you tried a regular DVD player or any other source ???

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JLaamanen
Re: Dimming

Did the gen 6 do this?

Did the consumer 25?
Nope. This "feature" was introduced on the "7UY" Models.

Quote:
I've been looking at DLPs but have recently added PDPs to my obsessive over "anal"izing :)
lol !!!

Quote:
Any chance a "blade" could have 2 HDMI or DVI ports, or would 1 be the max?

Thanks

John E. Boy
"Blade" is actually how some people here at AVS call the Optional Boards. :)

Yes, You can use 2 DVI or HDMI Boards on the Slot 1 or 2 .

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, please verify with a dvd player as I'm now officially scared to order this set until I hear something on the dimming issue. thanks

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Even with HTPC, I think I would find this "feature" annoying. Imagine bring up websites with bright and dark graphics and having this unit continually change the brightness. That would drive me crazy!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by caeguy
Even with HTPC, I think I would find this "feature" annoying. Imagine bring up websites with bright and dark graphics and having this unit continually change the brightness. That would drive me crazy!
My Pioneer 433cmx had this feature. I could turn it off if I wanted; however, it was on by default, and I left it on.

I would be surprised if this feature could not be turned off in the service menu on the Panny.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can see the utility of this feature, but I'm very surprised that there is no easy way to defeat it (no mention of how to do so in the manual either). I'm sure a lot of these commercial displays are used in boardrooms and the like, and the last thing you want is for your brightness to dynamically change while giving a presentation.

I have e-mailed Panasonic's support department. Hopefully they'll have a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BruZZi
Edaly,

I had a chance to play with a TH-42PWD7UY Display for about 20 minutes. Source was a HD feed over the Component input. Picture Mode = Dynamic :)D) . There were plenty of very, very bright scenes (Since was using Dynamic Mode) most of the time and I couldn't see a difference in the brightness level at all. Perhaps it has something to do with the HTPC you are using??? Have you tried a regular DVD player or any other source ???
Stop the presses! You are correct. It looks like this 'feature' is something done by the video card, not the plasma. I did some more testing today:

1. Checked whether the auto-dimming happened over the VGA intput to the plasma. Yes it does.

2. Unplugged the VGA cable from the plasma and plugged it into a conventional CRT computer monitor. Does auto-dimming occur? YES.

Since the plasma isn't even connected at this point, it has to be something the video card is doing.

My deepest apologies for having misled people about this. It has nothing to do with the 50PHD7UY.

I've hunted through the display properties for my GeForce 6800 and can't find anywhere to turn this feature off, so I'm emailing nVidia about the problem.

Sorry again about the confusion!

edaly

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweet! That's all I needed. Just ordered it and paid $50 extra for 2 day delivery so I should be a happy camper come Thursday. Your turn now Bruzzi ;)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Rayon, did you order yours today too???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.