AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one is 720p and the other is 1080p.

for ps3, xbox 360, hd viewing sitting from 7-10 ft away.

I have been dying for a 1080p set but been reading that to take advantage of 1080p I must have a set larger than 50 in. the px80 is cheaper but the fd18 has a warranty extended to 2 years at costco. anyone can tell me how blue ray looks on this set. how is it for sports? if anyone can show me pics of the px 80 in action. sears has both, so I guess will take a closer look at those. any advice will greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You know what? I was thinking the same question today. I was all set to buy a retail px80 or cost-mo hd80 50 incher, but then I thought about the new 46" size panny had in 1080p and wondered to myself if it was worth it for just a few bucks more and a few inches less to future proof myself.

I have a Dish Turbo HD that will do 720p, a DVD player that does 480p and a Wii that will only do 480p. I probably won't get a Blu-Ray until RedBox kiosks start stocking them more than regular DVDs.

I looked at Crutchfield's energy use guide and noticed that all the 1080p Pannys use more juice than the 720p panels - that included the 46" models. The PX/HD 50 inchers do real well for plasmas in that area which I like.

Also, I looked at CC today and they had a 50" PX and a 50" PZ - 80u varieties - right next to each other and honestly I CAN tell a difference, but that would be mostly fonts on the screen if they're coming in at high rez. I figure I'm looking at this thing for entertainment and not to nitpick a few jaggy edges on small fonts when I look at it from three feet away!

However, the 1080p sets have a better contrast ratio - including the 46" - and you have a 1080p gaming rig. If thats more important to you than general tv/movie watching then I'd say go for the 46 incher.

I think the 50" PX is the way to go for me. I figure in five years there will be some much better, bigger, cheaper tv tech to upgrade my living room to and the 720p will go to the bedroom. Right now I have a 480i modulated signal from my Dish receiver going to my bedroom so I bet that the 720p panny will deal with that signal better than a 1080p.

I missed the boat on the Cost-Mo deal on the 50" 720p panny but Sears has a deal right now on them. However the B&M stores are all out! I think they're price matching all over town. I want to get one before they're gone.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstrom /forum/post/15420701

You know what? I was thinking the same question today. I was all set to buy a retail px80 or cost-mo hd80 50 incher, but then I thought about the new 46" size panny had in 1080p and wondered to myself if it was worth it for just a few bucks more and a few inches less to future proof myself.

There's no such thing is a "future proof" TV. Advancements in technology are continuous and anything you buy now will be out of date in a year or two, 1080p or not.

Quote:
I have a Dish Turbo HD that will do 720p, a DVD player that does 480p and a Wii that will only do 480p. I probably won't get a Blu-Ray until RedBox kiosks start stocking them more than regular DVDs.

Dish does 1080i as well as 720p. On a 1080p set, 1080i can be deinterlaced to 1080p.

Quote:
Also, I looked at CC today and they had a 50" PX and a 50" PZ - 80u varieties - right next to each other and honestly I CAN tell a difference, but that would be mostly fonts on the screen if they're coming in at high rez. I figure I'm looking at this thing for entertainment and not to nitpick a few jaggy edges on small fonts when I look at it from three feet away!

If you can't see the difference at your viewing distance then don't spend extra on pixels that you can't see.

Quote:
However, the 1080p sets have a better contrast ratio - including the 46" - and you have a 1080p gaming rig. If thats more important to you than general tv/movie watching then I'd say go for the 46 incher.

I wouldn't pay one bit of attention to contrast ratios. They are basically made up by the manufacturers and have absolutely no basis in reality.

The PX models do have a little lighter blacks than the PZ models, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.