AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plannning on purchacing a Sammy 6168 1080p DLP via the TVA PB, but with so many reports of damaged units being shipped, I am thinking of reconsidering and going with a 50" plasma. Yes, I am concerned about going down in size from my current Mits 55" 16:9 RPTV. But, the cost of plasma's over 50" is out of my budget.

Here's what I can purchase for less than $5,000, and all three are within $200 of each other. These prices include shipping and sales tax where applicable. I am passing on the extended warranty.

1. Panny 50U with DirecTV HD-TIVO unit at local CC.

2. Panny TH-50PHD7UY from VA (with HDMI card & stand) and then purchase DirecTV HD-TIVO from CC, $150 less than option 1.

3. Pioneer 504CMX from VA (with stand) and then purchase DirecTV HD-TIVO from CC, $220 less than option 1.

I haven't been able to find comparisons between the two Panny units, but remember reading in the past how most were purchasing the 7UY.

I saw four 50" plasmas at CC last night; Panny, Pio, LG, and Sony. The Panny & Pio had the best pictures & best blacks. It was a HD feed of Discovery Channel.

I sit about 13' away from my TV, and it will be located in a great room with a wall of windows. I don't want to wait any longer for the next best thing to come out, which I know is only a few months away. Can you suggest some posts for me to read or make a suggestion?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was really hoping to buy this weekend, any comments please.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,633 Posts
I have a Panny 657uy and I love it. I really do not think you can go wrong with the 507UY. It has separate picture memories per input and it accepts native rate for PC and Scalers and has a first rate picture. All funky settings can be defeated so you can acheive a very accurate picture.

Panasonic's black levels really do make a difference. I have 2 Panasonics, and have owned 2 Pioneers and 1 NEC. If you want to wait a couple of months, the 6'th generation Pioneers look very interesting too.

My .02,

Rich

·
Vendor
28,708 Posts
Without a dought you have great choices listed. There are big differences from the 50U and the 7UY being one is a commercial model and one in consumer as far as features out of the box. The 50U is almost loaded ant the 7UY is built to suite your needs.(link to Pioneer explains this very well) Picture quality is similar with the 50U having the newest screen where the 7UY is using last years screen. 7UY and the PDP-504CMX are equivalent models

Info on the 7UY

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...el=TH-50PHD7UY

PDP-504CMX

http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/i...140443,00.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.