AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have decided to replace my existing HD CRT TV and I am going to go with a plasma. I have heard every opinion in the world on the above sets and I am coming to you guys for some help, clarification and hopefully an answer as to which set to buy.

I am aware of the said price drops, and the search function (which isn't working as of this post).

I am hopeful that someone can tell me if there is any difference between the Panny 50U and 500U other then PIP? I can't seem to figure out which is older.

From everything I have read and seen, and I have been to a few stores to see the same set and to some friends homes, I have narrowed my interest list to the following:

1. Panny 50U or 500U

2. Pioneer Pro 920HD

3. Sony 42Xs955

and 2 commercial models:

1. Philips F9966

2. Panny PDP4350HD

I am leaning towards the Panny 500U at this time because it has a great picture and a great price. But, the commercial models have really peaked my interest and I am curious if anyone out there can help compare them for me. Also, does anyone have any real world experience with the Pioneer Pro 920HD? I seem to find reviews for all of them but this one, does that tell me this one is not the one to look at?

Any help, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only difference in the 50U & 500U is really the PIP. I decided to go with the 50U because I really don't need the PIP.

[MSRP ONLY - Pricing/Marketing Is Not Allowed]

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider
The only difference in the 50U & 500U is really the PIP. I decided to go with the 50U because I really don't need the PIP.
I'd say PC input, EPG and better speakers might be considered three additional... and rather significant differences too. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is there a commercial model that compares to the 42" Panny 500U. Does the commercial model just have less features. I like the all black color of those models. Am close to buying a 42" 500U and just wondering. Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys!

the 500U keeps looking better. Everyone seems to be happy and I haven't read any horror stories. So do I take the plunge or wait it out a few month?

Amazon, anyone have a good experience with them?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Is there a commercial model that compares to the 42" Panny 500U. Does the commercial model just have less features. I like the all black color of those models. Am close to buying a 42" 500U and just wondering. Any help would be great! Thanks!
The comparable commerical model will be the TH-42phd8uk, which isn't out yet. Will be soon, though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
The comparable commerical model will be the TH-42phd8uk, which isn't out yet. Will be soon, though.

Ok thanks for your help. If the price goes down I probably will not wait. I need to make a choice for once :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been looking into plasmas recently, and yesterday went to my local store to check out the 42" Panasonic 500U which seems to be so well regarded. But the picture - a football game - looked like it was made of little facets of pure colour, what I think you call clayface. It bugs the hell out of me.

The assistant said that was coming from the source, then showed me the Pioneer Elite Pro 920HD. No sign whatsoever of those artifacts. His explanation: the electronics in the Pioneer do a better job of dealing with such source artifacts. I must say I really liked the Pioneer picture.

The worry in my mind is that in order to disguise the input artifacts, the Pioneer is doing some kind of smoothing which will result in a poorer quality picture from high quality HD sources than the Panasonic. Is this just my paranoia?

I didn't find much material on the internet regarding the Pioneer Elite Pro 920HD so am a little hesitant about buying it over the Panasonic. Help?

Julian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.