AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first attempt at calibrating a display. I used CalMan Home and the enhanced spyder 3. I have been reading and studying these threads along with various guides for dummies/newbies. The guides were most appreciated and I know those of you who have spent the time to write them receive no compensation except the thank you from people like me. Anyway i will post my before and after here for comments and suggestions for how to improve on what i have. It actually wasn't too bad to start with compared to some pre cal charts i have seen on here.

It was done in custom mode with warm temp and all enhancements off.

ONe question I have is that of brightness/black level. My brightness setting before cal was at 66 based on ths avshd709 pluge pattern with 17 just visible. I adjusted brightness to tweak my luminance curve and now my brightness on the pluge is 20. should I go with the pluge and live with the curve being a little off?

One other problem i had was that when i did the rgb cuts and drvs in the service menu and got them on they were off when i checked them out of the service menu. Is that normal? I remember reading from someone on here who is a pro calibrator that they had that prob but i don't remember where the post was or who it was.

Hoping to hear some feedback either way good or bad. I need to know what my mistakes are so I can improve on them in the future.

precal.pdf 45.66015625k . file

postcal.pdf 31.0498046875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is more before and after data.

final.pdf 99.6123046875k . file

precalib.pdf 103.5947265625k . file

Attachments

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Why do you think the luminance curve is "off"?

You shouldn't be using 2.35 for the reference gamma value - that's too high... 2.2-2.3 is about where you should be unless you have a Kuro. 2.26 average gamma is fine for a V10. The flatness of the gamma line is really good too - the picture should look great if the Spyder readings are correct.

The black point is what it is - you use a PLUGE and set it with the Brightness control. You set the 100% white point to where you want it to be (35.9 fL is reasonable, though a little higher than I'd set it for a dark room, the V10s look good with about 33 fL for dark room viewing - but 35.9 is FINE also). Once you have established the black point and the white point, gamma tells you what is happening BETWEEN black and white. (don't forget, you have to check and re-check the black point and white point a number of times when you are setting them to make sure they don't change when you make the opposite adjustment)

Frankly, the difference between digital 16 and digital 17 should be vanishingly small - on many TVs ONE CLICK on the brightness control can be so much that you end up crushing 17 into 16 with the darker click, and the next lighter click will make 16 too bright (I don't know the PLUGE you are using, but if it has digital 17, it should also have digital 15 and 16 and 15 should look the same... if the next brighter click makes 16 and 15 visible separately, use the next darker click of the Brightness control. This is a problem you get into when the PLUGE you use has steps that are too fine. You may want to look elsewhere for a PLUGE with 1% or 2% bars (i.e. -2%, 0%, +2%) rather than single-step digital values. Single-step digital values are so small, it's impossible or almost impossible to distinguish between them - which is the whole point when you think about it. Digital video works because the steps are so close together, when you view a ramp pattern with single digital values (i.e. 16, 17, 18, 19.... 232, 233, 234, 235), you can't see the steps. So using a PLUGE with single-step digital values is really rough and your display isn't likely to have the resolution in the Brightness control you need in order to be able to use a single digital value step for determining the right Brightness setting.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help Doug. I understand how to use the pluge and i know the luminance curve looked good. My prob was that in order to tweak it in i had to decrease the brightness which mad my pluge go black at almost 22. If I adjusted it down to 17 I prob would not have had such a good looking curve. I think. Remember this is my first time. I am pleased with the results. Picture looks good. Althoguh it looked pretty good before and I only notice a slight improvement. Any is good i guess.

Well I found out that what i have been reading about going back and forth between readings is true. But I guess you can't get around it. I think Tom Huffman said it best, "everything effects everything." Have a nice day.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekka4 /forum/post/16922324

thanks for the info in pdfs above donny

I'm gonna assume you have a v10 and let youknow that I used custom mode..tried standard mode which i usually watch but the gamma is so out of whack i couldn't get it in..of course custom mode has gamma adjust in the user menu and "mid" is pretty much right on out of the box..I'm still playing with it since it is my first cal and got me a new toy(spyder3).

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 /forum/post/16922438

custom mode has gamma adjust in the user menu and "mid" is pretty much right on out of the box..

If the display has a gamma adjustment then I would probably suggest setting brightness to cut off below 17. Going lower with brightness will tend to reduce the light measured at the low end of the grayscale, which would appear to be a higher gamma, but generally it would be best to adjust gamma with a dedicated control if one is available.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
I would recommend finding a ramp pattern with 0%-10% steps and use that as your final determiner for where the Brightness control should be set. These steps are far enough apart that you can see each one individually when everything is "right" - that sort of pattern will reveal whether you have Brightness too dark or set well - again, the resolution between steps of the Brightness control may require some compromise though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts