AVS Forum banner

Panny 58s2 and BT-235 and Directv No Surround or Center Sound

1K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  JChin 
#1 ·
Can't Seem to get the Surround/Center Cound from the Satelite Box. I can when playing BluRay directly, so something in the setup

I have the following cable connections

Directv HR24 --> HDMI --> 58S2 #1

58S2 #2 --> HDMI --> BT235

58S2 Optical --> BT235 D-in #1 (have also tried ARC)

Settings

Directv --> Dolby Digital --> On

Viera Link --> ON --> Speakers set to "Home Theater"

What am I missing?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks JChin, I will give that a try to see if it is a setting in the TV. Ultimately I would like to have the Audio passed from the TV to the BT-235 for all devices and not just the HD DVR. I have a similar setup with a 42S2 and a pt-??? with the same setup and it all works great. I am thinking there is some setting (likely on the TV) that I need to change.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I tried this setup

Directv--> optical --> BT235

and I get Dolby Digital.

So, I guess the question is how do you get Dolby Digital to pass in the following config

Directv--> HDMI --> 58S2--> (optical or HDMI ARC) --> BT235

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I have the TH-42PZ77U that passes it

Directv--> HDMI --> 42PZ77U --> PT???

Do you have a link to an online manual. I could only find the quick reference online.

I believe what you are saying, but this seems to be a big shortcomming for the set that when you connect high end equipment viah HDMI or Component it kills any hope of great sound quality being passed to the downstream audio amplifier.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks JChin. Looked at pg.29 and saw this

When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output

using “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” of this unit,

the system switches to 2CH audio.

(When connecting to an AV amp via HDMI, you can enjoy higher sound quality.)

That sounds like I should be able to to connect without the Digital Optical and only use the HDMI to the BT-235 for "Higher Sound Quality"

What do you think?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
OK, got it working with this configuration

Directv--> HDMI--> 58S2

Directv--> Optical--> BT235/D-IN 2

58S2--> HDMI--> BT235

58S2--> Optical--> D-IN 1

Then PG 31 of the BT235 OM says

Setting the audio link with the STB

With the remote control;

≥ Select the STB input channel on the TV.

1 Press [EXT-IN] to select “D-IN 2”.

2 Press [STATUS] to select “CABLE/SAT AUDIO ON”.

Doint this the BT235 knows that when the Satelite input is selected on the 58S2 to switch to the D-IN 2 input.

Now to test out what happens when I switch to a component input like an XBOX and see what is passed over the Digital Optical. I suspect 2.1.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
JChin, The 58S2 says that is has ARC in the OM and it is printed on under the HDMI 1 input on the back of the TV.

Based on both the 58S2 and the BT235 supporting ARC, shouldn't it pass digital over ARC if I choose that as the Audio Link setting on the BT235?

I have some newer(better??) HDMI cables on order from monoprice and will see if that makes a difference in the connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.