AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a Panasonic 58V10 in September and it came with a free calibration from Best Buy.

I will have it calibrated tomorrow and I am just wondering if there are any specific things I should be aware of to ask?

I have a PS3, Cable Box and Xbox360 connected to it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
let me know how they do with it...i am interested in possibly getting a v10 calibrated as well, and i would like to know how much it helps vs. online settings

·
Registered
16,228 Posts
BB is not who you want to calibrate your display. There are several reports of the display looking worse after they do their thing. Do it yourself with a calibration DVD, use posted settings for your model (check out the V10 settings thread), or hire a real calibrator.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The problem is that BBY is such a large company that the quality of local calibrators will vary.

It's inconsistent.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i was gonna say...they have SOME good guys. They had a calibrated xbr8 that almost made me wet myself. probably awful quality control though

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpat2k /forum/post/18140075

I have purchased a Panasonic 58V10 in September and it came with a free calibration from Best Buy.

I will have it calibrated tomorrow and I am just wondering if there are any specific things I should be aware of to ask?

I have a PS3, Cable Box and Xbox360 connected to it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Make sure you ask for a report (or graph) that shows the red, green, and blue levels for 0-100IRE (in steps of 10) which make up the grayscale. If the red, green, and blue are not equal (lie on top of each other or show 100% for each color) he hasn't done his job.

Grayscale is the only real calibration you can do on this set...everything else can be done by Digital Video Essentials.

Don't worry about having multiple inputs calibrated as the grayscale adjustments are universal...just remember the name of which color temp he calibrated (Warm2, Warm1, etc.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
The fact of the matter is that Best Buy uses an ISF certified technician. He's not just some regular geek squad dude.

The quality and work ethic will vary amongst the techs, but they are all ISF certified to perform calibrations. This can be said about all calibrators, best buy or not.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I noticed you mentioned you have 3 sources going to your set...the calibration will be for 2 inputs...Your Blu ray or Dvd...and your sat /cable connection ... you don't "have to calibrate an 3rd input for a gaming machine..as most games are made up in different resolutions anyway.

I wouldn't let best buy touch my set...I'd rather take an HDMI cable instead and pay 300 bucks and have it done right.

You'll have some kid pull up in a black VW with the orange circles on the

sides...some kid they are paying 8 bucks an hr. LOL , you likely be dissapointed...good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input here!! I do agree that BB/GS calibration is hit or miss, but they included the calibration 'free' with my purchase so I guess I'll give it a go.

I think I will ask the tech if it is OK if I take pictures of the defaults - in case I need to get back for some reason!!

I will ask for the graph as recommended - good point.

Hopefully all goes well!

Thanks again!

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.