AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys total novice here and hoping you guys could save me a few bucks,

background:

i have both the 3d tv and 3d bluray player listed in the thread title (60st30 and the DMP-BDT210) and went to hook up my really old and cheap receiver to my new gear only to find there's no optical input or of course no hdmi on it, only rca style plugs labeled surround sound, about 5 or 6 of them and standard speaker wire clips.... the tv and bluray player have nothing compatible as far as i can tell, which leads me to think i need a new receiver....my setup is in my bedroom, so i dont need anything spectacular, i'm using the speakers from the old set up, 2 towers, 3-4 satellites, and a center bar speaker.

tl;dr

the question...

what's the cheapest, most effective way to get average quality of sound out of my system? do i need 3d pass through? or even hdmi for that matter? shouldn't i just run an optical out from the back of my blu ray in to an optical port on the new receiver and let that process the sound and send it on to the speakers? amirite or aminotsorite?

·
Super Moderator
16,653 Posts
Yes. HDMI matters if you want the best audio possible from the BD. Toslink does not support the lossless audio formats of TrueHD or DTS-Master, only standard DD and DTS Core. HDMI will also allow you to keep things simple with single wire connections. You will need a receiver capable of HDMI 1.4 to pass the 3D to the TV. I like the Denons, personally. Price talk is not allowed on this site, so I'll link you to Denon. You can pick any price range you choose.

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...eivers(DenonNA )

S~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, I went out and bought a pioneer vsx521 for a ridiculous price due to an open box sale and missing manual , I hope that will do what I need , I almost got a dennon but this one was double digit cheap...I didn't just waste money did I , it looked to have all of the ports and 3d stickers on the front , lol , I'm no audio engineer but just seek something better then my panel speakers which are just awful ...really awful...

·
Super Moderator
16,653 Posts
SHouldn't have any problems. Keep up with the 521 thread in the receiver forum.

S~

·
Registered
483 Posts
I really enjoy my denon, sound is great and no problems anywhere else. The 3 buttons on the front let you pick which input you want right away. Bluray,tivo,xbox in my case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts