AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to go about optimizing "advanced settings" on the 6UY? I've seen this question posted a few times, but I've never seen it answered, and searches on this topic have been fruitless. I'm not sure how black level in the main menu and "black extension" in the advanced menu differ -- or how they effect each other. And I don't have much of a concept how to go about properly adjusting white balance in the advanced menu either.

Any takers?

TIA,

rss

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would also be very keen to know the answer to this! What are all those settings! What do they really mean? Where did they end up with *your* calibration?

Brian

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just sent an e-mail to Plasma Extreme tech support to see if they could help.

Since I just purchased a 6UY I'm hopping Lisa will answer our question.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
891 Posts
DEAR 3.1415926 pi,

haha LOL all I can say is: That beer musta been REALLY good! I know how to sell em, market em, and write songs about them..but the truth is I need to find out for you. Keep drinking-- and stay tuned I will maybe be able to find out something this week.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Second thought..Techniwizard on this forum is from Panny World. He may be able to help as well.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Count me in too! Any info on how to use the advanced settings, what test patterns would be applicable woud be great!

Thanks

Therese (Who is missing some SUDS!):D

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wpwj40e
Count me in too! Any info on how to use the advanced settings, what test patterns would be applicable woud be great!

Thanks

Therese (Who is missing some SUDS!):D
What she said...

Harley

·
Registered
891 Posts
Therese and HuskerHarley-

Both of your suds have been converted into the send lisa to intergrator school fund. Thank you for the donation and of course it is tax free. ;)

Ps) Don't make me slap you both and make up songs tonight..:)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Good friend who wishes to remain a lurker sent me these basics. I think this is great info!!! He will have more info for us very soon ( when his new panny lands) ! But this is a good place to start. I learned something-- hope it help!!

Definition: Black level really describes how dark the unit can get so that

it shows black areas in a scene as a shade of black and not as a level of grey. A lot of medium to low end plasmas actually have this problem which cannot be resolved with any amount of tuning. Those that have minimized this are Panasonic, Fujitsu and Pionneer. Also, NEC has gotten great advances in this area with their new P4 line.

Now lets talk a little about tuning. The first level of tuning involves the

use of tuning disc from either Video Essentials or Avia. Playing around

with any of the advanced settings without one of these discs is meaningless so my recommendation is to leave things at factory initially. The second level of tuning uses third party physical hardware to do light and color depth readings and is generally called an "ISF Calibration." Only certified tech folks should be doing this.

Now, here is where the generalities come in to play. "Black extension" is a

mode to put the monitor into so that it can then be properly tuned. Setting this mode allows the screen to be placed in a "blacker than black" state which some tuning metho need to have for proper callibration. The original Video Essentials disc needed this mode, but I don't know about

the new version called Digital Video Essentials. Avia doesn't need the blacker than black setting to function correctly.

White balance usually allows one to get into an area where one can adjust

the color intensity of each of the three color guns: red, green, blue. Again, one needs a tuning disc with color filters to set this correctly. Both Avia and Digital Video Essentials (the new one) has this feature. Basically, the goal is to get your whites to be truely white and elimintate the hue that is some times seen as a little red or a little blue.

Stay tuned for specific Panny CLASS 102 - Location: In the plasma Hall behind the cafeteria. Bring #2 trout pencils :cool: Big thanks to friend for the info and help :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.