AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when watching dvd's the picture is awesome, still trying to get the SD side of things tuned, but my new DVE disc might help.

I have a question about DVD viewing, 16:9 and widescreen. When I watch DVD's from a non-progressive player, I am still getting the letter boxing.

I am using the FULL setting, since there is no distortion and the JUST doesn't seem to do anything with the image. On the DVD player, there is a setting for 16:9 which is turned on, and seems to make the image on the screen a bit bigger than the 4:3 setting from the DVD player.

Am I just renting or having non Widescreen discs or something? Would progressive players change this? I am running the DVD through component out, so good signal and as I said, the image quality is really great.

Thanks for the feedback

N

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If the widescreen DVDs you're watching are non-anamorphic or they don't say something like Enhanced for Widescreen TVs, then you want the Zoom mode. Most new widescreen DVDs are anamorphic these days, but you may still have some black bars on the top and bottom (even with Full mode) because the aspect ratio of the movie is different than the set. A lot of movies have a 2.35:1 aspect ratio and the set's is 1.78:1.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, for example, I have the new dvd WS for Twin Towers, lord of the rings. I would think, that the image would simply fill the entire screen, on the FULL image. Or, when I go to auto, which would be 4:3, then it would show me that it really wants to show me 16:9.

Shouldn't that show me, a full image. Actually, what I am seeing with the 6UY is about 1 inch on the top and bottom. Less than some DVD's, but certainly not filling the whole picture.

Would buying a 4:3 DVD, so not widescreen be better in these cases?

·
Registered
111 Posts
well, in my opinion, the black bars are there for a reason. The reason being that this is how the picture is meant to be seen by the viewer, meaning that you are witnessing the full image. By using zoom, in effect, you lose part of the picture, and for me thats not acceptable. I prefer to watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, as this is the entire purpose behind widescreen viewing for DVDs!! Long live black bars!! :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the original, then something more than 16:9, for example like 23:10 or something? I thought, a 16:9 was pretty much what the original form factor was to be, so an original movie would essentially fill the screen?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys

that's simple geometry: the size of most movies does not have an aspect ratio of 16/9 butthey are wider and vertically smaller. (1:2.35)

To get this into a 16/9 proportion some black areas must be included on top and bottom of images. That's it !

Zooming the image to fill up the ENTIRE screen will obviously cut some image on the L&R side.

Excuse my poor english

Greetings to everyone from Italy!!

Claudio

·
Registered
476 Posts
tivoboy,

Somebody at ATSC (Advanced Television Standard Comittee) decided to square the 4:3 ratio to arrive at 16:9. "I am a genius!" he proclaimed...

This is fine for an ordinary TV, but a lot of people watch movies on their TV sets. Duh!

Most of the US-made movies have a wider 1.85:1 ratio and they do not quite fit on the "wide screen." The truly wide movies, like LOTR, have a 2.35:1 ratio as some people have already pointed out in this thread.

Had a 1.85:1 ratio been chosed, the bars would have been smaller when viewing a 2.35:1 in "full mode."

IMSO, ATSC made several inferior choices not just this one.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.