AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know that the slots available for boards/cards/blades or whatever they are called on the Panny 6UY can accommodate an optional DVI/HDCP board. Does anyone know or have thoughts about the possibility that one of those slots could be used for an HDMI board when and if one is produced? I note that the new Panny HD or X version of the PA2OU has HDMI rather than DVI/HDCP. I ask because I think I read somewhere that the standards for HDMI compatibility between monitors and devices are more straight forward and manufacturers are going to submit their products for HDMI Certification. In theory this could help eliminate a lot of the problems we are now seeing with the implementation of DVI/HDCP. Also I understand that HDMI allows for. or can allow for, the digital transmission of both audio and video signals. which should simplify matters if you use a receiver. Would be nice to know that the 6UY had a clear path to what might be a better solution than DVI/HDCP.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Does Panasonic not allow other vendors like Aurora, Key Digital, etc. to develop cards for their displays?

Just curious.

Scott

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
HDMI ??? ..since the pwd6uy does not come with built-in speakers, it may not be a high priority. I'm not sure about the other part of the question.

Panasonic has not in the past allowed third party vendors to develop cards. I have seen no word with regard to the new models & third party, but I will not hold my breath either.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I agree with Brucer on 3rd party stuff.

As for HDMI, well, Panasonic just recently began HDMI elsewhere.

The 6UY does have optional speakers so there might well be an HDMI card at some point.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My understanding is that hdmi = dvi/hdcp + sound. So an adapter cable will/should be widely available from a lot of different places, as it's simply a breakout cable more or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.