AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, just got my plasma from v.a. - wall mounted it using the chief flat mount, which incidentally is different from what i expected, it now has horizontal bar shaped holes to allow for lateral shift rather than having to buy the lateral shift accessory..nice touch. anyway..it's on the wall and looks tight.

to the point - i seem to remember a post where people were posting their 6uy ED settings and i've been searching for an hour with no luck. i basically just went through DVE and i felt like i was at the eye doctor. better...worse...the same...i have no clue! anyway, i'd love to compare notes with some of you.

also, has anyone had the 6UY ISF calibrated? can i see? can i?

hope i'm not retreading old ground - if so - can you just point me to the thread?

thnmnt

·
Registered
716 Posts
not to hijack your thread ;)

For the Forum Moderators, does it make sense create a separte forum for the Panasonic displays (EDTY 6UY and HD6UY)? I can see where this forum will bombarded (hopefully) w/ questions/issues from all the new panny customers that will be receiving orders in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm hijacking it back....anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry I can't help on the settings but I do have a questions about the mounting.

I did order the peerless to save on the expense of the chief plus PAC125 for lateral shift since the peerless allows for 4 inch lateral shift, each way -Total 8.

Can you tell how much lateral shift the chief permits, and also is it the PSM or PST.

I think i would have liked to get the PSM but thought the additonal expense and distance of adding PAc accessory would make the peeless the one to go for.

I guess I could still make a switch if you have a coment about those oval holes and how much slide they allow, I need 2 to 4 inches to shift to capture my studs.

Thanks

TC

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Can you tell how much lateral shift the chief permits, and also is it the PSM or PST.

I think i would have liked to get the PSM but thought the additonal expense and distance of adding PAc accessory would make the peeless the one to go for.
the model# i got was the chief psm-2051. it looks like the horizontal spaces which allow for lateral shift are about 5 or 6" wide. in my case i slid the mount over about 2" before mounting the plasma.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I looked at chief website it looks like width of wall mount is only about 16 inches, so it must be placed between two struts, rather centered over one and 16 inches either side to catch struts either side. (plus allowance for the 5 inches lateral slide you mention)

Can you confirm that the width of wall mount is only about 16 inches, the peerless is 32 inches, so you can place directly on a center stuct and pick up 16 inches either side.

Thanks

TC

·
Registered
14,830 Posts
thnmnt,

Try thread #352394 "42PWD6UY Calibration" dated 1-15-04. I set my unit up with VB's settings and are very happy with them.

Bill

·
Registered
950 Posts
thnmnt, try these:

pic 4

Brite -6

Color -8

Tint -10

Sharp -1

Temp warm

Advanced:

Blk Extension -3

Input -12

High R -5

High B 9

Low R 12

Low B 12

Gamma 2.2

AGC Off

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vb - that's a great start - i noticed that your black extension was a negative number which it can't be...so it got me thinking...are all your negatives where they should be in the other values? regardless it's a good start for me. i'm now realizing that my old sony 550D dvd player might be the week link in my pq.

and to 2tc - i think the chief mount i had was more like 24 inches maybe slightly more or less. i can't recall since it's behind the TV now. the 16 inch span on the struts fit in the center of the 2 horizontal holes with a good 8 inches to the edge of the mount. once it's centered over the 2 struts (16" apart) you can then shift about 5 inches either way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The black extension is supposed to be a +3 as I recall the correction from pi in another thread.

But the problem with the settings - the picture is way too dark. The brightness makes the picture look very dark without much detail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It would be extremely helpful for each of the 6UY displays to have a corresponding posting of calibrated settings. Call me lazy or just not as knowledgable in the video realm.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that's what i was hoping. i've been working on the steaming rat approach to callibration but i'm a big second guesser....come on folks, help out the new wave of plasma newbies and post some settings! ;)

thnmnt

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I have a 4UY and things have probably changed enough to where I wouldn't be much help with specific settings, but for those who are posting their own, it's helpful to include what preset picture setting is being used (Cinema, Standard or Dynamic) as the starting point because there is still variation even if identical numbers are used, (I've tested that by setting the "Dynamic" numbers to the "Normal" numbers and toggled them back and forth, it is different).

If the DVD player has adjustable black level settings, (lighter/darker, like the Panasonic/Yamaha players, or a number, like some of the JVC players) you could post what that is set to also, as they also affect the final result.

It'll still be a YMMV thing as no two displays are exactly identical, but it's easier to get closer results if there is a consistent baseline.

·
Registered
660 Posts
FYI

Several of us are working to make it easier to find setting information about your brand. Since several of you have mentioned the difficulty in finding this information in this thread concerning the Panasonic brand you might want to try going to the Brand Index.

Click on Panasonic (which will take you to the what we call the Home Page)- then scroll to and

Click on User Settings and Tweaks

You will find some previous threads re: settings/tweaks listed there AND

If you post there (and restrict yourself to just talking about settings) you will find it much easier to find this information in the future.

Note: this is in testing mode - and you may not get much traffic there until people buy into this concept.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.