AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the quoted contrats ratio for the 75U is 400:1. Quoted contrats ratio for sanyo Z1 is 800:1. But these are just quoted manufactureres contrats ratios, which are usually a bunch of baloney.

Anyone have some real, after calibration, comparable contrats ratio measurements for these 3 units? This would settle it for me. I have seen a nicely calibrated a300, and was quite satisfied with shadow detail and black level. If the panny 75U can approach this, with 400$ rebate and panazip, then i found another contender.

Any info on the new 76U would also be great, as the 75U seems to be getting rare...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marco T
Now the quoted contrats ratio for the 75U is 400:1. Quoted contrats ratio for sanyo Z1 is 800:1. But these are just quoted manufactureres contrats ratios, which are usually a bunch of baloney.

Anyone have some real, after calibration, comparable contrats ratio measurements for these 3 units? This would settle it for me. I have seen a nicely calibrated a300, and was quite satisfied with shadow detail and black level. If the panny 75U can approach this, with 400$ rebate and panazip, then i found another contender.

Any info on the new 76U would also be great, as the 75U seems to be getting rare...
Read chapter "first impressions".

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...or-4-2003.html

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured that the quoted number was accurate for the Z1...

But what about the 75U? Anyone measure the contrast out of the box? Or with some tweaks?

Anyone do an A-B comparison of the 75U and Z1 or Ae300?

Reason I ask is that although the new 76U is rated at a whopping 300:1, Clawdaddy was quoted as saying it looked about the same as the AE300 in contrast...

Somehow, the contrast range should be expressed with a decent black level dialed in. I for one would much rather see good shades of grey, than some shades of off white.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am waiting for my 75U to be delivered later this week, so hopefully I can directly comment about it's contrast ratio vs. a friend's 300U in the near future.

If you dig through the old posts, there are people who say the 300u has a noticeably better contrast ratio. I am fairly certain that I have read a reference to the 75Us rated contrast of 400:1 as being a little better than other 400:1 projectors and about the same or slightly better than the HS10s rated contrast of 700:1. However, I think the consensus opinion is that the HS10 is overspec'ed and not really a 700:1 class projector.

There are posts where 75U users are talking about 'upgrading' to a 300U. Although this does not directly address your question, presumably they felt the 300U brought some additional features to the table worth paying for.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I just got back for a local HT "meet" and we got to compare a Sony 10HT to my Panasonic 75U. Suprisingly the 75U had a bit better color saturation and contrast. I was quite proud of my cheap projector. An owner of a Z1 stated he did not notice the difference in contrast between the 75U and his Z1. Hopefully next time we will be able to directly compare the 2. I now have rejuvinated faith in my projector as I really have not been able to do a direct comparison with it . BTW- the Sony 10HT looked great IMHO. You would never think that reading these forums.

Let me know how you like your 75U and I would be interested in hearing how it compares to the 300U too.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.