AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been reading and searching for 3 days now. I just got a TH-42PWD7UY to go over my fireplace. My house is over 50 years old and has a marble mantle that is 9.5" deep. I can hang from this thing so I would like to use a stand instead of mounting this puppy on the plaster walls. Is the TY-ST07K, "Duckfoot", stand too deep for this? I called and found out that the stand is 12.6". Is there another stand I can use that will better center the weight within 9.5"?

Thanks for your help, the information on this site is priceless!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My question would be "won't the smoke and heat from the fireplace destroy the tv?"

I'd love to hang my panny over my fireplace, but plan on using the fireplace a lot in the winter, since there's no heat in this basement.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisQ
My question would be "won't the smoke and heat from the fireplace destroy the tv?"
No.

Search for the term "fireplace" and you'll find a thousand people who say they've had no ill effects.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarbles
Ok, I've been reading and searching for 3 days now. I just got a TH-42PWD7UY to go over my fireplace. My house is over 50 years old and has a marble mantle that is 9.5" deep. I can hang from this thing so I would like to use a stand instead of mounting this puppy on the plaster walls. Is the TY-ST07K, "Duckfoot", stand too deep for this? I called and found out that the stand is 12.6". Is there another stand I can use that will better center the weight within 9.5"?
The stand is over 12" deep so would it be possible to build a 13" shelf on top that 9.5" mantle? Maybe support the projected front edge with tall columns placed in front of the fireplace?

Does it really HAVE to go above the fireplace? Are you dead set against mounting it to the wall up there? Could you wall mount it on another wall with an articulated-arm mount? Or set it on a rolling credenza of some sort and use it as a room divider?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There will probably be little to no smoke, since I live in central florida and it rarely gets cold enough to use it.

Unfortunately, the way my room is setup, over the fireplace is the only logical place. And if anyone has worked on 60 year old plaster walls, they know that when you start drilling in on place, parts start falling elsewhere. Its a fun experience I tell ya!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.