AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been repeated, i did a search but didnt find any matches for these 2.

I am getting ready to buy my first Plasma for our new home. We have decided on a 50 inch and we are looking at an entry level to mid level 1080p. I have gotten down to these 2 sets. There are things i like about them both.

Panny- I love the black levels and I love the SD card slot for viewing pics. Lowest price found online is $1,499. CNET rating 3 1/2 stars Very Good

Samsung- I like the options you have for picture and I like the look a bit better but they don't offer the SD slot. Lowest Price found online $1,348. CNET rating 4 stars Excellent.

Its enough to make my head explode. I thought I was certain about the Panny but I didnt know I could get the Samsung $150 cheaper. The Samsung has a place for a USB but how will I be able to view pics with it ?

Any and all input is helpful guys. Really want to get the best bang for the buck, its our first home that we will own. Anything I am not seeing ?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Haha, this question is asked constantly, but I'd pick the Panasonic. You might want to look at the 50pz80u it's basically the same tv minus a pc input and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stock response is often Panasonic in this situation (tech support, quality control, deeper blacks), but some people prefer the Samsung for color accuracy, comprehensive picture controls, and aesthetic quality. Even if you're a huge fan of SD connectivity, I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor -- just about anything you connect to your TV will have an SD slot anyway. The next pair of tennis shoes you buy will have an SD slot.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I'm very pleased with my PN50A450 (the 720p model, which saves you even more money). It's the extra picture adjustability that decided me on a Samsung instead of a Panasonic. I don't know of any way of displaying pics on the A450 directly, using usb, though I do it from my computer using a DirecTV HR20 over ethernet.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Whichever is more important to you, video processing and accurate colors with the Samsung and deeper blacks with the Panny. I don't think you'll go wrong either way. I second the 720p idea as well if sit far enough away (probably farther than 8 feet).

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I would pick the Samsung. Less SDE, brighter and better colors on the Samsung. Or you could send a bit more on the Kuro which is a great set

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I was planning on also getting the Panny BD-55 Blu-Ray player to go with it so it could decode the latest audio for my Yamaha 2500, does it have a slot for SD? I really appreciate all the info guys. Its a hard choice to make when you can't actually see them side by side and have access to the menu to select picture settings. After a PM I am also considering the Panny 80U as well, I will never use it for internet anyway. I watch a lot of sports and movies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Poorboy - You are not alone......

I have been at it for a week now and I can't decide between these two sets either.

Samsung LN-46a550 or Panasonic TH-46PX85U

The biggest reason I am waiting is because prices jumped this week and stock is low. I am hoping that sales start this week in anticipation for the super-bowl.

I am hoping that the LN-46a650 dips low enough to be considered as well. Maybe the Panasonic TH-46PZ800U will dip to this level. I am not sure if I will be able to handle all the choices.

I am not sure what your needs are, but I need a TV to use in a Master Bedroom where it will be used in darkness at night To me, Plasma seems to be the way to go. You mentioned a basement, so I guess Plasma may suit your needs better as well since we both are not concerned about bright lights from windows.

Hey, when you decide tell me which and why. I hope your wife is patient because mine is itching for me to make a decision already.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still undecided but I did find out that the Panny Blu-Ray player does indeed have an SD slot so I can view pictures. I to am hoping that in the next week or two we may see some sales because of the Super Bowl and the fact that the 2009 models will be released soon.

I have to go to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up a new PC for the parents, i think I may talk an associate into doing a few tweaks to the picture settings on both units if they have them on display.

·
Registered
6 Posts
poorboy,

You could always get a USB style SD card reader to view your pictures directly on the Sammy - where the Panny lacks a USB altogether for other device connections.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think best buy has the 46" Panny on sale for 999 right now.....so Panny.

actually its the PZ80 46", not the PZ85...for savings I say its worth it though

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee /forum/post/15501447

I'm very pleased with my PN50A450 (the 720p model, which saves you even more money). It's the extra picture adjustability that decided me on a Samsung instead of a Panasonic. I don't know of any way of displaying pics on the A450 directly, using usb, though I do it from my computer using a DirecTV HR20 over ethernet.

Big River is selling the PN50A450 for a unbelievable low price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts