AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I have a cheap DVD player over component (looks good) and my HDTivo box over HDMI (looks spectacular). I've been toying with buying a new DVD player, like the Panny S77S or Oppo.

Would I be better off with my current setup, or buying a new DVD player, hooking it up over HDMI, and moving my HDTivo box to Component?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm told that the mandatory de-interlacing and scaling in the Panny are quite good, so your old interlaced DVD player is just fine.

If you do get a progressive scan or HDMI DVD player, the player is going to do the de-interlacing and/or scaling, bypassing those functions in the projector. Those qualities of the player are unknown until and unless you find the player reviewed in Stacy Spears' Shootout Secrets (Google for that web site) or until and unless you get a review of that player from a friend or other source.

While trying to make up your mind, try hooking up your Tivo to the component jacks of the projector now for a short trial.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
You could also consider getting a DVD player that upscales over component. I have the HD TiVo and a couple of upscaling players, the NeuNeo HVD2081 and Zenith DVB318. I really don't see much difference between HDMI/DVI compared to component. I use a Panasonic PT-L500U projector.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.