AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am maybe considering the 9UK series again after I thought I had made up my mine on the 600u series cause it basicaly had everything in it already. I am concerened with the lack of inputs that come standard with this series. The S-video and composite are basically useless if you want a high quaility picture right? Then I believe it comes with just 1 component connection and a VGA which to tell you the truth I am not sure what that is. After you factor in any additional blades, speakers, and a stand you are way more than the consumer models, not to mention no on board tuners too!! Are the extra tweakabilitys in the 9UK series worth it, cause thats about the only thing I can see why anyone would want this series, and of coarse its is way better looking than the consumers
I know that a lot of people dont need the extra stuff in the consumers but at about the same price (assuming you buy at least an HDMI board) why would you not go with a consumer model? Lets say down the road you want to upgrade and send this unit into your kids room or garage or something. Are you gonna hook-up a cable box, a whole surround system, buy a stand or wall mount just to get it going?? Man I may have just talked myself inot the 600U series again

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhark /forum/post/0

Lets say down the road you want to upgrade and send this unit into your kids room or garage or something. Are you gonna hook-up a cable box, a whole surround system, buy a stand or wall mount just to get it going??

Probably hook everything up via component for non HT application. HDMI who cares. Cheap DVD player with tuner, $75. Cheap mount, $50. Cheap bookshelf speakers $50. $175 tops for all. The difference between the 600u and 9uk is about $400-$500 if you look at the 42 9UK price from VA. Still ahead by $200 - 300 when said and done. That $400 -500 that you save today can be invested and by the time you are ready to upgrade you are more ahead. 50" is harder since the price difference is $200-300. Of couse 50" = 2K, 42" = 1K. I would love a 50" but the 42" price is the tipping point.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I bought my commercial 8 series over the consumer I saved about 1k, with a warranty. Add on a DVI and HDMI blade and it's 700. You have to buy a stand for both don't you, so that's a wash.

Now, I don't like the fugly speakers on the consumer, especially since I don't need them, and the commerical can add them easily. Plus the bezel of the commercial is a darker graphite type gray, vs the cheap grey used on the consumer.

Future upgrading, assuming I want to acquire a HDMI 1.3 connection for my PS3 at some point I'll be able to convert with the purchase of a new blade, a consumer model won't be able to do that (to the best of my knowledge).

I think my warranty is in-house, vs. the consumer which you need to haul into the store (not sure about this though since I've never carefully looked over the documents, maybe that's a testament to the quality...)

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the commercial, and if I had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing. I purchased on-line from Visual Apex, who I would recommend to family or friends. They have better customer service than any B&M store I've been to in my area (Ultimate, Best Buy, Circuit City).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are both great bargains and dont think they can be beat for the value. But it seems to me that the prices right now are about the same (assuming you at least buy 1 additional balde for the UK) for the respective size. But the comsumers 60u and 600u have so much more to offer as far as inputs, tuners. speakers stand etc..... Like I said I know alot of you dont need that extra stuff but at the same price why not get it?? And as far as the warranty I believ they are both in house. The 5 year on the UK is a nice touch that makes it much more attractive right now though

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you can find a 600U for the same price as a 9UK + $130 HDMI blade, then you should buy the 600U (EDIT: DAMN!!!! TVA has lost their minds! And free shipping?!). It isn't that bad looking. The 60U series might be priced comparably, but it's so fugly as to not require a second glance.

VGA, by the way, is the same as D-Sub. AKA, standard analog PC connection.

Also, if you are thinking about eventually stashing the TV as you have said, then why even bother with the 9UK? If it obviously doesn't suit your personal needs (I don't have kids, so, you know, sticking it in their room isn't a concern for me), then you shouldn't get stuck on it. You are not really going to notice that much the lack of AGC and white balance controls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.