AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read this forum with great interest, as I am going to purchase a plasma monitor or tv in the next few weeks.

I've researched a few sites and decided on Panasonic's newest 42" as I want to keep costs down and don't really need full HD at this time (any improvement from an analog set will be appreciated). However, one thing does confuse me.

The device of choice seems to be the TH-42PDW6UY. My questions are:

1. Is the TH-42PA20U the consumer model of the TH-42PDW6UY?

2. Why are most recommendations for the 6UY if the speakers and stand come to another $800, taking the cost of the industrial model over the consumer model? (I have a kid an wife who won't want to turn on the receiver to watch normal TV, so I'll need the speakers...)

3. Where on the Dell site did you find any of this stuff, as I can only seem to find the 37" model?

Thanks for helping out a newbie to this technology, I really appreciate the tone of this forum.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
1. Yes, the TH-42PA20U is the consumer model and the TH-42PDW6UY is the industrial model.

2. You should be able to find a price difference closer to $600 between the 2 models. I got the 42PA20U for the reasons you state regarding wife and kids. There seems to be overwhelming sentiment here that a person only needs the 6UY. Get what's right for you - for some of us the 42PA20U is the right choice. By the way, for a TV set, I've found the speakers of the 42PA20U to be pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Prior to the 42PA20, the main difference between Panasonic industrial and consumer plasmas was that the consumer models came bundled with a stand, the warranty was a bit better on the consumers, and supposedly the consumer models met tighter FCC interference regulations than the industrial models. I say supposedly, because when we bought our third-gen 42" consumer Panny plasma, in a big box marked with the consumer model #'s were two smaller boxes: the 42" industrial plasma and the stand! So I don't think really there was much difference at all.

Obviously now you see that the difference is the inclusion of the speakers, different bezel color, etc., on the consumer model. Why still go with the industrial model? Well, we'll be upgrading the 42" to a 50", and I'm going with the industrial because I don't need/want the integrated speakers, and prefer the black/gray bezel color . . . . Also, ours will be wall mounted . . ., so don't need the stand. I bought the 42" as a consumer model because the price of the industrial model plus stand was cheaper than the consumer model w/stand. Essentially, buy what works best for you! I do appreciate having the choice of not having the speakers, since they wouldn't be used in our setup at all.

Don't feel locked into buying from Dell, by the way. I bought our first plasma from DMart2000, and our second (37" for the bedroom) from ourstore.com (Sherlock Systems), and had great experiences with both. The smaller company buying experience was actually a lot better. With DMart, Panasonic's warehouse in NJ sent the plasma to DMart's store in MD instead of to us in Seattle. My salesguy was so upset about this that when it got there in MD, he shipped it next day air freight to me in Seattle -- ultimately it got to our house much quicker than if Panasonic had shipped it to the right place to begin with! With Ourstore.com, my Mail Boxes Etc.-type store rejected the plasma ("we don't accept freight"). The Ourstore rep tracked everything down for me, and had it shipped to our house the next day -- if they had waited another day or two, it would've been shipped back to them, so I really appreciated the extra effort on their part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.