AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to what your basic setings are.

Mine for progressive/component/dvd from a RP-91 are:

Top to bottom:

Dynamic

Picture +30

Bright +25

Color -5

Tint +11

Sharp +12

Color Temp Cool

Advance Adj. off

I know it looks like like all are too high. I may be lowering the life of the tube. But it looks wonderful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you watching your set in a sunroom? I my oninion you are not seeing this set at its best, not to menton that you will rather quickly burn out your tube with contrast pumped to the limit. I set contrast to about -5, brightness calibrated with Avia is about +8, color way down at about -15, tint at 0 since the red push has been fixed and sharpness at minimum. Also I have color temp at normal, Advanced Adj. On and with the velocity modulation set at 0. Please try to lower your settings overall. It might take a bit of time to get used to it, particularly if you've been watching an overblown and contrasty "showroom" image, but in the long run you will learn to appreciate this more natural looking TV picture.

Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also thought my picture was amazing when I first got my CT34WX50. However after having the set a couple of weeks and then doing a calibration with Avia I could not believe how much better the picture is. If you get the picture, brightness and sharpness levels down and get yourself adjusted to watching the picture at the new levels you will see much more detail in the picture. My settings are: (picture -4) (brightness 2) (color -14) (tint -4) (sharpness -18) (color temp normal)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah!

I thought the settings were high too.

But with Picture & Bright near the noon position. Blacks are just too dark.

I have calibrated it with avia actually I am a video tech by day. I was thinking that the set I got might not have had the default settings in service mode. It was a sealed box!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I am dealing with two consumer level products: TV & RP-91

Here are my settings for standard catv in the Los Angeles area that I assume are NTSC standards:

Top to bottom:

Dynamic

Picture +28

Bright +25

Color -5

Tint +11

Sharp +9

Color Temp Cool

Advance Adj. off

Notice the settings are similar to the DVD players settings.

Chroma levels on CATV are a little high but I rarely watch broadcast television.

And actually my viewing area has the window blacked out.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My settings are close to flat. I adjusted the contrast, brightness, red push, etc. in the service menus for 480i inputs. The 1080i inputs are fantastic and I did not have to touch them at all (well, maybe just a little ;)). I don't know why the factory presets for 480i were so screwy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, 3-1 against me ^_^

Well I was not sure about entering service mode but It looks like I may be doing that this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate you guys looking at your settings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.