AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a NewB to the wonderful world of DLP TVs, I am in a situation that most have been in which TV to Buy? And I am hopping that some of you may help me. So let me spell out some of the details:

I am am looking at two different models: the Sammy HLP4663W or the Panny PT-50DL54.

Number 1: I am about 6 feet from the TV so the 46" would be better.

Number 2: I have a PS2, and I am wondering concern about the time delay that people have been worrying.

Number 3: The panny has the HD2+ chip compared to the sammy HD3.

Number 4: The price of the Sammy is better.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
845 Posts
You are not comparing apples to apples, as the Samsung's with the HD2+ are the xx85 series. That being said, I think that the HD3 is a great way of bringing in a lower priced DLP set. And just because it is a little cheaper does not mean that it doesn't look great. The Samsung HLPxx63 series are very nice looking sets and cater well to a professional calibrator. This is the first DLP TV that I have been able to adjust to get a perfect NTSC color space for the most accurate DVD playback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

I know that they are not the exact same chip, but the difference in price between the Samsung HLP4663W (MSRP ONLY) and the Panasonic PT-50DL54(MSRP ONLY)), so the price is fairly close.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Note that the HD2+ chip is a lot better than the HD3 chip. For one thing, the contrast ratio on the HD2+ is 2500:1 (on most tvs) compared to 1500:1 for the HD3. The HD2+ also has the "dimple fix", whereas the HD3 does not.

Quoting Arun Gupta from another thread...

DLP Chips

---------

HD2 - 2nd generation, 1280x720, 1000:1 contrast ratio

HD2+ - 2nd generation+, 1280x720, 3000:1 contrast ratio achieved through a dimple fix

HD3 - 3rd generation, 1280x720, 1500:1 contrast ratio, doesn't have the dimple fix, has SmoothPicture

xHD3 - 3rd generation, 1920x1080, 5000:1 contrast ratio, SmoothPicture, Dynamic Black

HD2+ is better than HD3, even though it is second generation.

xHD3 of course trumps them all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well I saw both sets side by side last week in the 50". I thought the PQ of the Panny was better on the HD feed and DVD's I saw. I stayed there for over 30 minutes, really comparing the two. I don't know about the PS2 situation, but for picture quality and bang for the buck, the Panny is the set I'm choosing.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You absolutely 100% WILL get the delay with the PS2. You'll only notice on games that require precise timing, but it's enough to screw them up. You'll get the delay on any game on any game system that does not support progressive scan.

Cush

·
Registered
34 Posts
I returned my Sammy for the Panny DLP 50" and I have NO delay with PS2 or XBox playing games that you would REALLY notice the delay (ie. Madden).

The Sammy had HORRIBLE delay.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The issue here is the video processing delay... it is also a problem with audio sync... best workaround is to make sure both audio & video processing are executed in the same device - set all sources to always output the native mode of the TV, ideally an exact copy of a signal format (1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080). The DLPs are exact 720p devices, so they don't scale at all when handed a 720p signal. Give them what they need.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's not ONLY the Samsung, but it's not all of them either. I've heard numerous times that the Panasonic one doesn't have the delay.

RSawdey, that's the ideal solution, but it's not an option for all inputs.

Cush

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The know video lag issue was on the Sammy HLPXX63 line, in which if you're not providing a progressive signal and the Sammy video engine de-interlaces it to provide the progressive image then a noticable video lag is introduced.

For example if you give it a 480i single it'll convert it to a 480p and the lag is introduced into the system. This is not a DLP artifact but an artifact of a slow de-interlacer (and possible other video processing.) There is always some lag introduced whenever you have video processing (doesn't matter the technology) it's usually so short though that it's not detectable by the user.

As I said, this only appears to be an issue with the Samsung HLPXX63 series as far as Sammy's are concerned. There may be some other sets out there by other manufactures w/ the issue but I haven't heard anything said.

The biggest issue is when playing video games in which timing is everything (i.e. 1st person shooters, Sports, Golf) it's not so important for RPGs for example. The other issue is notice of a slight lip sync issue (due to video lag, which can be corrected by many audio receivers if using external speakers, and is automatically correct by samsung if you're using the TV speakers.)

If you're not interested in the current Samsung HD2+ product (HLPXX85) you may want to wait a week or two and check out the HLPXX74 series which will be a table top model w/ the HD2+ chipset.

The Panny 50" you mentioned is a decent set good video quality, but asthetically I don't like the speaker ears on it.

I don't understand everybody doing it. The only reason to do it is to improve sound seperation. Anybody that wants to improve sound seperation and has $3K+ to spend on a set should at least pop for a decent audio receiver and speakers.

CCourtney

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've looked at the docs for the Panny and I don't see anything out there about it having 3:2 pull down, like the Sammy.

Does anyone know what type of impact that will have on the video quality?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Panasonic has 3:2 pulldown...its listed right on the website tech specs, among other places. This feature is in reference to the conversion of an interlaced signal (such as standard def TV or native DVD) to a progressive format. Since all the DLPs have a native 720p format, all will have this feature in some form - the manufacturer's all have different names for it. Panasonic calls their's "Progressive Cinema Scan".

My final choice for a DLP was down to these same two sets, although I wouldn't want less than 50". The HD3 and HD2+ chips seem to give a little different character to the two pictures...the HD3 a bit more "smooth" or less sharp (sometimes a good thing) and the HD2+ a bit sharper with more contrast. To me, the differences were subtle, but I preferred the HD2+ look. One advantage of the Samsung is that it has two digital inputs, a DVI and HDMI, which would have been very convenient for me (Sat box + DVD). Then there is the form factor (side speakers) which is purely a personal asthetic preference or space issue.

I ended up getting the Panasonic, and am quite happy with its performance. There are also many happy Samsung owners. Both are good sets in my book.

I'm not a gamer, so cannot comment on those issues.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zimberto
HD2+ - 2nd generation+, 1280x720, 3000:1 contrast ratio achieved through a dimple fix
Arun was posting early reports for the HD2+ chip. The actual contrast ratio claimed now is 2,500:1. Regrettably Arun never got the opportunity to revise his list.

I think he might also have indicated that the manufacturers report a contrast ratio that is less than linear -- 2,000:1 is not twice as good as 1,000:1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for everybodies responce. I think I have made my choice with the panny. Mostly due to the game lag on the Samsung reported on some other threads. I have only read one person reporting a very small delay on the panny. If anybody had a lag problem ore other problems with the Panny please respond.

Again thanks for the comments

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sawyer1370
Well I saw both sets side by side last week in the 50". I thought the PQ of the Panny was better on the HD feed and DVD's I saw. I stayed there for over 30 minutes, really comparing the two. I don't know about the PS2 situation, but for picture quality and bang for the buck, the Panny is the set I'm choosing.
I second that. I looked at both the Sammy and the Panny at my local dealer with same HD feed, The Panny produced better black and color.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.