AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be soon getting a HDTV set with cable box Scientific Atlanta 3100HD, and I'm wondering whether I'll be able to record TV programs with my Panasonic DMR-E30.

Namely, will it record and play back non-HD programs?

And will it be able to record and play back HD programs?

If so, what PQ can I expect?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maurice2
I'll be soon getting a HDTV set with cable box Scientific Atlanta 3100HD, and I'm wondering whether I'll be able to record TV programs with my Panasonic DMR-E30.

Namely, will it record and play back non-HD programs?

And will it be able to record and play back HD programs?

If so, what PQ can I expect?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I am not sure what connections your set-top box has; I can tell you how my set-up works. I have a Panasonic DMR-E20 along with a Samsung Sir T-165 OTA HDTV Receiver. The Samsung allows for selectable output on the component and DVI connections(1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i). It also has composite and S-Video outs, but they are always 480i. I can run either of these two outs into the corresponding input on my DMR-E20. It will record non-HDTV Digital Broadcasts very well. In addition, It will record, a down-resolutioned feed of the HDTV sources. Even though it is 480i, it retains the anamorphic aspect ratio of 16:9. When played back on a good progressive scan unit, the results are pretty good. Obviously, in the case of the HDTV sources, not as good as the originals, but still very good. Anyway, I would suspect that your set-up would be very similar. Hope that this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.