·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a hard look at the Panasonic DMR-E80 for use as
  1. Move old family movies from VHS to DVD
  2. Backup shows from satellite DVR to DVD[/list=1]

I have a couple of questions...

a) Can the DMR-E80 control a satellite receiver (in this case, a DishNetwork box)? I am planning on hooking up the audio and S-Video from the satellite output into the DMR-E80 inputs

b) It appears that if I do the dub/edit magic with the DMR-E80 I can create some menus to have entry points into my recordings. Do the DVDs thus created have menus that work in any DVD player, or do they only work in the DMR-E80?

Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
a) Can the DMR-E80 control a satellite receiver (in this case, a DishNetwork box)? I am planning on hooking up the audio and S-Video from the satellite output into the DMR-E80 inputs
Unfortunately, the E80 can't control the DishNetwork receiver (I have one, too). The DishNetwork's IR blaster can't control the E80 either. HOWEVER, I set the DishNetwork receiver to auto-tune to the program I want to record and the E80 to record at the same time, with the "channel" set to the line-in that the Dish is on. As you may know, the E80 has three sets of inputs, all with s-video jacks. Thus, you can keep your VHS and the Dish connected all of the time for your dubbing and sat. recording, and use the third set for connecting camcorders or whatever.
Quote:
b) It appears that if I do the dub/edit magic with the DMR-E80 I can create some menus to have entry points into my recordings. Do the DVDs thus created have menus that work in any DVD player, or do they only work in the DMR-E80?
The menus work on all players. Each separate recording can have its own entry on the text menu. However, if you have a long recording and enter chapter stops, the individual chapter stops do not appear in a menu (but the chapter skip button on every player I have used jumps correctly to the stops).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigh... I just downloaded the .PDF for the manual and, indeed, there is no IR output to control stuff. The plethora of inputs is good news though- thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Setting up two boxes to record one program is kind of a drag, but for some things it is easier than others. For example, if you want to record a program at a regular time every week or day, both boxes allow you to set one timer each to do that.

Actually, there is one advantage to having to set two timers (with the E80). Since there are many recording "speeds," each providing different quality options, setting indivdual timers on the E80 allows you to set the best option for what you will record. This includes setting the timer to record at FR (flexible recording) that adjusts the recording speed to the best possible bit rate for picture quality while still allowing the program to fit on one DVD-R. The FR algorithm depends on the length of the program being recorded. If the Dish receiver just controlled the E80 (by sending the "RECORD" remote control command, as if it were controlling a VCR) this would not be an option. Of course, the best thing would be if the E80 could control the Dish receiver, but alas, that would probably have made the E80 more expensive.

See these threads for more on FR:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=289493
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=307443
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=304544

There is another option that I have not yet pursued, but that others use. Many programmable remote controls will allow you to set timers and control multiple divices using the timers. You can set these to, as one "event", turn on the Dish reciever box, turn on the E80, start recording on the E80 and change the channel on the receiver. There might be some way to set these up to automatically start recording on the E80 everytime you use a timer to turn on the DishNetwork receiver, for example. You would still lose the FR option this way, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.