AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am either be getting a 80gb hd tivo or a panny DMR-hs2 tonight, So i want your expert advice. I will be using the dmr-hs2 basically to tape saved by the bell( :D I know I know it is my favorite show, I will never grow up) and what I want to due is save them I the hd then copy them w/o commericals onto dvd-ram discs then when I have the episodes I want put them back onto the hd and put them on a dvd-r disc in the original order of the air dates. IS this possible? I am scared about the black level bug, and the picture quality of dvd-r discs. Is it possible if I buy a tivo now, and use it with my TIme Warner digital cable, and then maybe it like 9 to 12 months buy a dvd recorder, can I burn stuff from my tivo onto discs when I get a dvd recorder.

And also for any one with digital cable and a tivo, can you record all of the higher channels onto the tivo like techtv, and lifetime movie channel.

Thank you guys, for your help I will buying one or the other tonight.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have both a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV/TiVo receiver and a DMR-HS2. I'm doing something similar to what you describe except that I usually put only one or two shows per DVD-R. Blanks are so cheap ($0.69 each now) that it's not worth my time to try to put more than 2 shows per disk. What I typically do is record a show onto my TiVo, then copy it on to the DMR-HS2's hard drive, edit out the commericals, then burn it to a DVD-R. I know it sounds like a lot of steps, but it is actually very easy since everything is automated and I don't have to be present for most of the transfer process.

The one problem I see with getting only a TiVo right now is that you might run out of room before you get a chance to transfer the episodes to a DVD recorder.

I don't know much about digital cable since I use a DirecTV/TiVo integrated unit. As for the black level bug, it's never bothered me and I actually never noticed it until I read about it on this forum. The DMR-HS2's quality on XP or SP mode is excellent.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same setup as CSV96, HS-2 and a Sat-t60. Another reason to have both is if the Tivo hard drive fails (happenned to me). I plan on archiving my Tivo recordings to my HS-2 and then on to DVD-R. THe HS-2 is a great unit and so is the SAT-T60.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Actually "Panasonic HS2 Vs Tivo" is a poor choice of words; both units actually go hand in hand with each other.

Be aware that the DTV/Tivo combo units offer better picture quality than a standalone Tivo unit. Taping from a combo unit's HDD is actually the same as taping a live broadcast.

And as csv96 states, taping from the Tivo to the HS2 HDD for editing is quite painless and offers many nice options. I like to tape the original onto the HDD at XP and then use FR for dubbing to DVD-R.

And I also experienced a Tivo meltdown, so I wouldn't recommend using one of these units for storing important programming, you'd be better served by dumping to DVD ASAP.

Happy Recording!

Peter M

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with videonut. PVR and DVDRecorder go hand in hand.

Use the PVR (TiVo, ReplayTV) to automatically find and record your favorite shows and then archive them using the DVDRecorder (HS2, E30, 985).

If you can afford it, get them both. Of course if you are gonna buy a PVR, you probably wouldn't need a DVDRecorder with built-in HDD.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Count me in as another HS2 and SONY SAT-T60 owner...Great combination...Tivo does all the recording initially...The shows you want to archive to DVD can easily be saved over to the HS2 DVD-r or HDD...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys guys, I bought the 36xbr800 and the 80 hour tivo last night, I would go for the directv setup, but right now I am living at home and my mom wants to stay with cable. So if I have all of my SBTB epsiodes on the tivo and then get a hs2 I can just transfer them over, edit out the commericals and then burn them to dvd-r correct?

·
Registered
441 Posts
You got it.

Two ways of doing it:

1) Transfer the entire show to the HS2's HDD, edit out the commercials then dub it to DVD-R.

2) Record directly to DVD-R and use TiVo to skip over commercials.

Advantage of recording directly to HDD is that you have far more control of the edit points whereas you have to babysit the recording process if you record directly to DVD-R. On the other hand, direct record to DVD-R produces fewer encoding since HDD to DVD-R dub goes thru an extra encoding process (at least that's what most people here suspects).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.