AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a firmware update for the E80?

It only likes older Memorex 1x DVD media. I've tried other brands and speeds 2x, 4x & 8x and it always crashes. It's hard to find that media.

Anybody know what other brands it will accept? Or if there is a firmware update to use the newer, faster media.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
154 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. I don't think it is firmware related as I've had no trouble with a wide variety of media from 1x to 4X.

I also don't think there has ever been a firmware upgrade for the E80H.

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alert,

What brand/speed do you use without problems?

· Registered
187 Posts
I have the E80 and have not had any problems with and media at all. If you are having problems unplug the E80 wait two minutes and do a reboot. This might fix the problem. There are not firmware updates for Panasonic DVD recorders.

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I got a 'buggie' one. I just tried a Verbatium disk and it worked. So, at least those I can find.

· Registered
154 Posts
I really do not believe it is a media problem. I've used CompUSA 1x generics, Verbatim Digital Movie and I'm 25 disks into a 100 pack of piodata 4x DVD-Rs with only a couple of duds with the CompUSA.

The suggestion to power off the box (I'd wait 15 minutes) and reinitialize is a good idea.

If you continue to have severe media problems, I think you are right to think the recorder is defective.

· Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, I do think it's a media issue and not hardware. I also bought some other disks for testing, HP and TDK. The TDK also works. I just think I hit some bad off-brands.

I love this thing. I picked it up closeout at BB for around $200. It's great for making quick DVD copies of my productions for my clients. Beats an hour to author one with DVDSP.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
I agree, I do think it's a media issue and not hardware. I also bought some other disks for testing, HP and TDK.
HP? I thought they only marketed DVD+R format discs, which won't be of any use in the E-80.

· Registered
600 Posts
I have been using (lately) Radius DVD-R 4x...printable.. with success. ....from Amazon...cheap...I believe these r Optodisc

Also works well w/Iomega EXT. DVD Quick Burner.

· Registered
710 Posts
I have two E-80s. So far, one of them seems to work fine with just about everything I put into it (however, that is the one on which the hard drive went into self-reformatting).

The other had some RECOVER errors with Taiwan-made Fujis. It also had problems with a few CompUSA and BeAlls. It really hates Optodisc.

For both machines, Taiwan-made TDKs, Sonys, and Ledas seem to work fine, as well as all MADE IN JAPAN media (including Japanese Fujis).

My advice is to try a few brands until you find one that works well with your own machine, then stick with that. There seems to be enough variance in individual machines and discs that such a procedure is efficacious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.