AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and heard that "shorten segment" does not delete material from the hard drive within a program stored on the hard drive, but this editing move makes those shortended segments invisible to the viewer, i.e., as if they never existed (if done carefully).

I'm editing out commercials from some short (55 minutes to 1 hour, 1 minute) films recorded originally on VHS from commercial television, and now copied by me at SP to my hard drive. The 55 minutes to 1 hour, 1 minute length is net of the commercials. In real running and VHS recording time most of these films run about 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, including the commercials.

If I dub to DVD-R two films with a net running length of not more than two hours, am I also dubbing the "invisible" commercial materials to the DVD-R or am I dubbing just the visible two-films-combined two hours or less net running time?

I'd like to be able to dub these SP recordings at high speed to get two films on a DVD-R.

I'd prefer not to dub each individually (of course I could do that at XP for anything up to an hour with an FR setting for anythig that runs slightly over an hour.

By the way, these are 1930s and 1940s movies on my personal VHS tapes from television and picture quality differences are not easily discernible on this older black-and-white material.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Quote:
If I dub to DVD-R two films with a net running length of not more than two hours, am I also dubbing the "invisible" commercial materials to the DVD-R or am I dubbing just the visible two-films-combined two hours or less net running time?

I'd like to be able to dub these SP recordings at high speed to get two films on a DVD-R.

You are not dubbing the "invisible" material. You should be able to use high speed mode if it was enabled at the time you recorded those movies to the hard drive. On my E100 there is a symbol that shows up in the dubbing list (I think it is the dubbing list?) that indicates if that program can be dubbed at high speed. Check your manual for details.

Each movie will be dubbed to a separate title on the DVD-R when you use the dubbing list. I think that if you use the "Play List" for dubbing, you can combine those separate hard drive movies into one title on the DVD-R. I don't know why you would want to do that though?

Dave

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If you shorten segment on the HDD, you do remove the material.

If you are using a DVD-R (I'm not sure, does the E80 let you shorten segment on a DVD-R?) you are NOT removing material-- just inserting jump-off points.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I own Panasonic and Pioneer hard drive recorders and use "shorten segment" constantly for deleting commercials from History Channel documentary type programming. If you start of with a 2 hour program and delete 30 minutes of commercials the dub to the DVD-R will be 1:30 minutes. The commercial material flagged for deletion remains on the drive but is not recoverable. That is why it is very important to format the drive routinely and never allow it to fill up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm relieved that I can continue with my current dubbing method.

Ernie6 (or any others who would respond): I take your point about reformatting the HD from time to time, but I've never dubbed or watched the HD recordings down to zero material on the HD (perhaps I ought to excercise more self-discipline). If, after dubbing a film to DVD-R (after on the HD shortening segments and dividing to chop off the leading and trailing commercials), I erase the entire remaining film, "invisible" commercials and all, from the HD, have I removed all that material, including the comercials from the HD?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
With all HDD systems, incl. computers, "erasing" doesn't really erase the material, it just deletes the "pointer" to the material. Erasing does give the CPU permission to overwrite the erased material. So, if you erase everything, the CPU will see a completely open/blank drive for it to record new stuff.

Formatting should only be needed if you don't want someone to recover material on the drive, or if the drive becomes "corrupt" somehow.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 /forum/post/0

I own Panasonic and Pioneer hard drive recorders and use "shorten segment" constantly for deleting commercials from History Channel documentary type programming. If you start of with a 2 hour program and delete 30 minutes of commercials the dub to the DVD-R will be 1:30 minutes. The commercial material flagged for deletion remains on the drive but is not recoverable. That is why it is very important to format the drive routinely and never allow it to fill up.

In the years I used my E80H, I never had to reformat the hard drive and never had a problem when the HD filled up. My mom now uses the device and has never had a problem either (and we both always used the Shorten Segment option to remove commercials).

Reformatting won't hurt but isn't a necessity. How often do you reformat or defrag your HD on your computer?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If anyone is interested in buying an excellent E80H please PM me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.