AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many posters have their points about the likely, even imminent catastrophes that can be brought about by adhesive labeling of DVDs, I'm prepared to bite the proverbial bullet and re-copy from my VHS tapes to my Panny E80 hard drive the 100 or more DVD-Rs I've made so far, and re-dub them to printable DVD-Rs. Not many printers will print these labels; HP and Epson seem to be the only consumer printers currently available, with some edge being given in reviews to the Epson line over the HP5160. Opinions on printer choices are welcomed.

I'd like to continue with Taiyo Yuden disks, and continue to finalize in the E80 (the editing is pretty simple). When I visit the Supermediastore web site, I am confronted with several choices among the premium printable disks (I'd like to stay with the premium disks since the cost difference with the Value Line is relatively small. The problem is, I don't understand the nomenclature of the various choices open to me.

I'm guessing that the less expensive tape-wrapped version means that the disks are not on a spindle. If that is the case, that is not so handy for me; I'd prefer the spindle (my present, no longer relevant, unused TY disks are on a spindle and that has worked for me). I store the finalized disks each in its individual DVD insert case so when they've left the spindle for processing, they won't be returned there for storage.

I'm not sure what the hub vs. hubless disks represent. If they rest on each other before being used for dubbing, is any harm done?

Sine I've been using the core NEATO labels to simply list the movie tile(s) and year (the more detailed information is on the DVD case insert with graphics, etc), I probably wouldn't need a disk that is printable all the way up the spindle hole (I probably won't bother to print a graphic on the label).

Is anybody familiar with the TY choices on the Supermediastore site willing to help me choose my best options?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a rally naive question. I have a DVD writer/burner recently installed in my computer but have no curent inclination to use it to finalize my disks (I'll use the Panny as noted above). Could I copy my already completed and adhesive-labeled disks from the one read only dvd drive in my computer to TY printable disks in my dvd writer/burner, without the original disks spinning at high speed and risking delamination? It would be the one way I could rescue the several weeks of work I've already done.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
The disks I use are these and I use a printer like this one but the one I use was discontinued. This one looks exactly like mine except for color, and even uses the same "ribbons". Others have used these disks with this printer and highly recommend it. I haven't used the Casio, so I have no comment. Shiny flat surfaces work very well with these printers.

This is not an endorsement of any product or seller, just an example of my experiences.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro /forum/post/0

Here's a rally naive question. I have a DVD writer/burner recently installed in my computer but have no curent inclination to use it to finalize my disks (I'll use the Panny as noted above). Could I copy my already completed and adhesive-labeled disks from the one read only dvd drive in my computer to TY printable disks in my dvd writer/burner, without the original disks spinning at high speed and risking delamination? It would be the one way I could rescue the several weeks of work I've already done.

If the disk labels are nicely in tact, it probably won't do any harm to play/read them a time or two in your PC drive. However, to be 100% safe, it would be best to remove the labels before you use them in your PC drive. Here's two simple options for safely removing DVD labels that work very well:

Method 1:

1) Spray entire label with a good coating of WD-40

2) Let it sit for one hour

3) Label should cleanly and easily peel off and take 99% of the adhesive with it

4) Clean off remaining glue residue with Rosinol lighter fluid. Works great and will not damage the data side of the disk

Method 2:

1) Soak discs in warm soapy water over night (label side down)

2) Carefully scrape off labels with fingernail or something like a thin plastic knife/spoon (no metal or really hard objects)

3) Clean off remaining glue residue with Rosinol lighter fluid. Works great and will not damage the data side of the disk

CAUTION: Do not use Goo Gone, Goo Off or other adhesive removers as they will eat away the plastic coating on the data side of the disk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.