AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some research and I have decided on the E80. My question is where to set up. I currently have two family rooms. I have a sony DTV/Tivo 35 hr receiver and DVD player. In my second room I have my HT setup with a DTV receiver (No TIVO) and DVD player. What is the benefit of pairing the E80) with the TIVO. I was thinking of using it in my other room without TIVO.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I love it with my T60 because

1. when I run out of my 100+ hours on tivo, I simply dump to E80 then if need be, RAM.

2. if you are interested in editing, the HD on the E80 is a must. It "is" possible to sit there and run tivo and hit pause on the E80 to edit but I find that a pain and inaccurate. the shorten segment is great

Now if you decide to put the E80 in the nontivo room, you can use the E80 as a tivo, sort of. The E80 will not change your DTV channel but if you have it set on the right channel, you can use it as a vcr. I do this when the 2 tuners are being used on my tivo and I need a third thing recorded at the same time. However this feature could also be used if you put the E80 in the tivo room and you run another cable from your nontivo to the RF input of the E80 (i used my old CATV cable since it's just for viewing once and erasing and the quality isn't important)

There may be other networking options or things I haven't thought of, but that's how I do things here and am quite happy.

I'm not knocking your setup but how do you 'not' have tivo on your HT setup? ;) all that sound and big screen action you are missing :)

PS have you decided where to get it? there are plenty of opinions on here. I got mine at walmart.com but I think they are out and other places are cheaper now. computers4sure.com is excellent for service, my fav, and also ecost.com has been mentioned by many people on here.

good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
IMHO, the E-80 and Tivo is a marriage made in heaven.

Example: A friend talked me into copying the reruns of "The Green Hornet."

The show airs early Saturday mornings and there is no way I'd be up to get the job done. But my DTV/Tivo unit faithfully records the episodes for me, and when I have the time I edit out all unwanted material, add a few chapter stops, and then high-speed dub four episodes to a DVD-R.

There is no loss, because recording from the stored footage on the DTV combo unit is the same as recording from a direct broadcast.

Peter M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.