AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic E-80H and DVD drive will no longer record. I'm not too surprised as I've probably burned well over 1,000 discs over the years with this machine. I've obtained another E80H and what I'm wondering is if I can swap the HD from the bad burner to my new machine so I can transfer the recordings to disc. I've read that that there is a flash memory in the machine which will not allow me to do this. If I do try to swap drives will it recognize it (with the recordings) or will it immediately ask me to format it?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
In later models the machine will immediately ask to format the disk, but in one as old as the E80, I really can't say.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
What will not record??? to the hdd or the dvd drive will not record from the hdd?? if you have bad burner just swap the burner and do not touch the hdd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a bad burner. I've replaced a bad hard drive before but never a burner - where can I get one (and is it as easy as replacing the hard drive)?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeas /forum/post/20780844

Its a bad burner. I've replaced a bad hard drive before but never a burner - where can I get one (and is it as easy as replacing the hard drive)?

take it out from the machine you just got. yes not that hard to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually the machine I just acquired is almost new so I wouldn't want to remove the burner from my best machine. Can I buy a replacement burner or is the type of burner unique to Panasonics?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeas /forum/post/20786916

Can I buy a replacement burner or is the type of burner unique to Panasonics?

Apparently the burner is unique to Panasonic.

I also have a DMR-E80H with a bad burner. After some research, it appears the DMR-E50 and DMR-E60 share the same DVD drive as the DMR-E80H. I haven't checked with AVS member mickinct to see if a laser assembly is available, but that might be worth a try. Instead, I recently purchased a cheap DMR-E60 off eBay, and will soon try to transport its DVD drive to the DMR-E80H.

Also, you may want to check this thread for a way to install a HD without formatting it.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil
Starting to see more and more Panasonic DMR-E80H's with problem DVD drives.

http://cgi.ebay.com/190563780157
http://cgi.ebay.com/230655064201
I believe that the DMR-E80H HDD/DVD recorder DVD Drives are of the type that is surrounded by an enclosure. These DVD Drives make it difficult to do the routine rubber hub/spindle area cleaning. For the E80H (and the similar E100H) it's better to use Jeff's "saliva" method or the "external method" for rubber hub cleaning described and illustrated in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeas /forum/post/20786916

Actually the machine I just acquired is almost new so I wouldn't want to remove the burner from my best machine. Can I buy a replacement burner or is the type of burner unique to Panasonics?

Why were you asking to take the hard drive out of the "brand new" machine? It would be easier swapping the burner. Put the bad burner in the new machine and start your daily/weekly recordings. As quickly as possible burn the shows from your old machine. When you are finished, then swap the burners back and continue to use the new machine. It is easier swapping burners than swapping hard drives.

If you can find a burner, then go for it. The longer you wait though, the harder it will be swapping anything.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/20801705

Why were you asking to take the hard drive out of the "brand new" machine? It would be easier swapping the burner. Put the bad burner in the new machine and start your daily/weekly recordings. As quickly as possible burn the shows from your old machine. When you are finished, then swap the burners back and continue to use the new machine. It is easier swapping burners than swapping hard drives.

If you can find a burner, then go for it. The longer you wait though, the harder it will be swapping anything.

The first remedial measure for problematic DVD Drives is the lens, rubber hub and spindle area cleaning described in this and subsequent posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

Panasonic DVD Drives are proprietary. Perhaps the DMR-E80H DVD Drive is unique to the DMR-E80H and the DMR-E100H.

Panasonic's National Parts Center in Kent Washington still lists these replacement "drives" for the DMR-E80H:

4R080L0 DRIVE $138.69

RFKV0040HDK DRIVE $362.16

VXY1772-S DRIVE $285.45

VXY1795 DRIVE $285.45

RFKV0040HDK1 DRIVE $362.16

The 4R080L0 is probably the hard drive. The part numbers beginning "RFK" are most likely the RAM/Digital "module" that includes the DVD Drive and the specifically aligned Digital PCB. The part numbers beginning "VXY" would be the bare DVD Drive. It appears that there are two different DVD Drives used in the DMR-E80H, the VXY1772-S and the VXY1795. I'm unable to describe the differences between these two DVD Drives and/or the Digital PCBs.

Replacing Panasonic DVD Drives mounted within a surrounding structure is more complicated than with later Panasonic models that have self-contained DVD Drives.

This thread addresses swapping Panasonic DVD Drives and compatibility considerations:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1082922

This thread addresses accessibility and servicing of circa 2003 Panasonic DVD Drives mounted within a surrounding structure:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1207391

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why not transfer the hdd recordings from the old panny's hard drive to the hdd of the newly acquired panny using s-video out and composite audio out from the old panny and the appropriate similar input options on the newly acquired panny. This way you've saved your recordings and any issue with the repair on the old panny doesn't have any true consequences to your recordings.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_fahy /forum/post/20818541

Why not transfer the hdd recordings from the old panny's hard drive to the hdd of the newly acquired panny using s-video out and composite audio out from the old panny and the appropriate similar input options on the newly acquired panny.

Although an option, theoretically you would experience a generational loss in quality with the decoding/re-encoding step in the transfer.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
^^ Not really, as the Panasonic would record the exact same quality of signal that it's fed(??)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/20820723

^^ Not really, as the Panasonic would record the exact same quality of signal that it's fed(??)

DVD format is a compressed Mpeg2 lossy format (not a 1-to-1 perfect bit copy), so each decode/recode step losses quality.

From Wikipedia :

Quote:
Lossy compression formats suffer from generation loss: repeatedly compressing and decompressing the file will cause it to progressively lose quality.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I make all my recordings at SP level and playback half my recordings on a 109" screen. I have never seen the suggested degradation on a dvd recording when I've had to record from one panny to another. I will not make the technical argument that degradation doesn't occur, but John can preserve his recordings and attempt any fix he wishes on the defective panny. When he's successfully finished with his defective panny repairs - I suggest he offers a sample of the same recording from each method and let the more technically inclined tell him about the 4.27% degradation in the less complicated (but flawed) preservation of his recordings. I'm wowed by those that make the dvd recorder fixes every day, but I wouldn't crack open any box until I've taken care of what's really important to me (the recordings).

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_fahy
Why not transfer the hdd recordings from the old panny's hard drive to the hdd of the newly acquired panny using s-video out and composite audio out from the old panny and the appropriate similar input options on the newly acquired panny. This way you've saved your recordings and any issue with the repair on the old panny doesn't have any true consequences to your recordings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil
Although an option, theoretically you would experience a generational loss in quality with the decoding/re-encoding step in the transfer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C
I have done this experiment, and I can assue you, the loss of quality is evident. Decoding and reencoding an image WILL cause quality loss.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts