AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a TH-42PWD4UY but am curious if anyone has heard what might be replacing it this fall? Given that it's almost June and Panasonic typically announces new models in August, I'm certainly not above waiting an extra 3-4 months to get a newer, better model at a lower cost. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have seen on a sales Web site (dtvcity) that the DVI option board is coming in August 2002.

They also have to address the fact that Pioneer and NEC have/will have ~1200x720 line ~42 inch displays. I suspect that this will be the major difference since they still have the edge on contrast ratio. I am engaging in pure speculation here.... I too am on the edge with the Panny 42 but long term the higher resolution will matter. When this resolution jump will happen is a big question.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
"Silence is Golden" when it comes to Panasonic. A lot of us have been wanting to know as well. Hang in there.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
As IUnknown (a COM addict, like me, aye?!) says, NEC and Pioneer are going with high res 42" units.

I doubt that Panasonic, who is anxious to become the leader in the 42" arena, will overlook this. I doubt that Cedia will pass without a new model being shown there...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
An interesting point of reference that I find is that when I spoke to a Pioneer national sales manager about the Pio 433CMX a couple of months ago, He stated that their only competitor for THAT screen was coming from NEC. This was before anyone had posted ANY info about the new NEC 1024 x 768 res. I didn't quite understand him at the time, but now I do. Hindsight being 20-20, I now realize that he already knew about the NEC and that as far as Panny was concerned - nothing appeared to be in the works.

Hope I'm wrong, here.

Bruce

·
Registered
860 Posts
Interesting link. Hopefully that kind of ramping up on the supply side will be a push toward bringing prices down.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I was told by a salesman at a local Houston retail outlet that the area Panny Rep told his company that the new panels would be out "this summer," and that they would feature higher resolution. The price point would be slightly higher.

Yeah, I know - little more than rumor, but why would a salesman tell a customer to put off a purchase unless he believed it? This particular salesman seemed more knowledable than most on other aspects of plasma. Why he even knew of copy protection schemes, and the difference between component and composite inputs - a real sales bright light.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
As IUnknown (a COM addict, like me, aye?!)
More like a disease actually. Fortuantely, I have other interests. I started at this forum in the throws of a particularly bad attack of COMitis trying to twist IE.

More to the point:

60 billion yen @ 125yen/$ = $480 million

@80k units per month for 5 years (Japanese math here) = 4.8 million units

That $100/unit just for building the manufacturing facility. Actually, I suspected it would be more but that's a chuck of change and one of the reasons the prices are so high.

In the case of plasmas its not a particularly good bet that anyone will much care five years after they start production (2009). No one in the states is willing to take that bet plus they typically are interested ni a 1-2 year payback.

Note: No need to calculate an interest payment since capital in Japan in free which is really good for us technophiles.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here is another link in which most of the a.m. stuff is repeated. But there are some additional points which might be interesting:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/020521/64/1ok4b.html

- Pana PDP business is still in the red...

- Pana PDP boss says "we will not be beaten on price" ( a statement towards Koreans)

- NEC might be leaving the market longterm

- Price expectation: 80 USD per inch (42" = 3,400 USD) per end of 2003.

And here is the news that Mitsubishi is entering the PDP market (while NEC exiting !!??):

http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/n...0.html?tag=ats

Have fun !

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I don't care if Panasonic makes a million PDPs a day, if they don't get their act together and put out a model that is comparable to the PIOs and Fujis, it will be a big loss.

They need to get an HD 42" out there.

They need to get the DVI (42" & 50") issue resolved.

They need to address fans on the 50". No fans or auto fans.

They need a path for upgradeablility.

They need to start thinking "Home Theater" like PIO and Fuji.

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
They need to get an HD 42" out there.
I've seen the Panasonic TH42PWD4UY listed as "HDTV compatible" -- is that not the same thing? Or are you referring to a 42" with a built-in HDTV tuner as opposed to one that can simply accept an HD feed from an external tuner?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm fairly new to the plasma scene (as well as home theater in general) so all this is new to me.

--kurt

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
klieber,

Key word "compatible". Means it will accept the HD signal but will down rez it to its native resolution of 480p.

The min resolution the Plasma needs to be for "HD" is 720p.

joys_R_us,

Yes, your statement is true, but even though they have a few bugs there still miles ahead of the Pannys IMHOP.

Dave

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Brucer,

Interesting about the immanent release of a new 42" model from Panasonic. When I recently talked to reps from Panasonic Canada, they told me not been informed of any forthcoming plasma models. Nothing on their radar at all. (Which is why I bit the bullet and went for the current 42").

I wonder why Panasonic keeps their reps in the dark about this stuff.

Rich.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Brucer,

Yeah I know, but I didn't put to much stock in that statement. Reason is Panny already knows what the specs and features that these PDPs will have. So if you want to sway the buying public to wait and consider your product you tell them a few months in advance- Hey have I got a product for you - its got this and its got that and it will be available by such and such.

Because of their "Silence is Golden" policy they have already lost some of the market.

But I guess to each his own.

Dave

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm sorry but, apart from the new manufacturing facility, I cannot see where the new model from Panasonic anouncement is.

Are ppl getting mixed up with Mitsubishi and Matsushita? The latter company being the parent of Panasonic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.