AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just downloaded the latest firmware from Panasonic's website. The file appears to be a ZIP file ; and there only appears to be a single file of content within the zip file itself.

Q) do I need to FIRST un-zip the downloaded zip file before putting its contents on the USB stick for installation ? or do I just throw the zip file "as is" on the usb stick ??

thanks all,

·
Registered
453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download#post_24458975

Hi all, I just downloaded the latest firmware from Panasonic's website. The file appears to be a ZIP file ; and there only appears to be a single file of content within the zip file itself.

Q) do I need to FIRST un-zip the downloaded zip file before putting its contents on the USB stick for installation ? or do I just throw the zip file "as is" on the usb stick ??

thanks all,

I would think that Panasonic also has an install guide for whatever display that you own. You didn't mention anything except Panasonic. I believe with the potential "disasters" that are certainly possibilities with all FW updates regardless of brand, type of equipment it's intended for I'd make "the call to support" - if you didn't/don't understand maybe come back and attempt to confirm your understanding.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
From the panny firmware page for my 60st60
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/america_2013/down_na_02.html

Firmware Update Procedures

Perform steps 1 through 4 listed below.

Step 1: Check the current version of firmware used by your TV.

Step 2: Download an updated version of the firmware and double click the downloaded file to decompress it.

Step 3: Copy the firmware file onto a USB flash memory.

Step 4: Install the firmware update.

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_60#post_24458975

Q) do I need to FIRST un-zip the downloaded zip file before putting its contents on the USB stick for installation ? or do I just throw the zip file "as is" on the usb stick ?? thanks all,

Can't you connect your TV to the internet instead and just update the firmware directly through Viera Connect?

Or are you unable to connect it to the internet in your home?

·
Registered
453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download#post_24459537

Can't you connect your TV to the internet instead and just update the firmware directly through Viera Connect?

It could very well NOT be a display with Internet capability and the fact that he mentions it was a "zip file" indicates that it is likely the case. He may have also stumbled upon a "service file" that isn't actually just a general firmware update.

With no mention of the model nothing is certain except I would think the Panasonic support call!

The OP just needs to provide a model number or maybe just a link to the file that he "suspects" is the firmware.

·
Premium Member
18,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_60#post_24459624

It could very well NOT be a display with Internet capability and the fact that he mentions it was a "zip file" indicates that it is likely the case. He may have also stumbled upon a "service file" that isn't actually just a general firmware update. With no mention of the model nothing is certain except I would think the Panasonic support call! The OP just needs to provide a model number or maybe just a link to the file that he "suspects" is the firmware.

Based on his previous posts it looks like he has an S60 so i just presumed that's the model he's trying to update.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download#post_24459687

Based on his previous posts it looks like he has an S60 so i just presumed that's the model he's trying to update.

And that certainly seems to indicate that a person should expect a .zip file - Instructions seem pretty straight forward. I don't know that I hit on an "identical model" but the one I looked at doesn't seem to imply "internal update" on the support page.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not internet connected ..

Weird, info on the pages I was on said nothing about de-compressing the zip file ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download#post_24459537

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download#post_24459687

sorry .. YES ... I have an S60 model.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Internet update didn't find anything for me, so I did a manual download, put it on my thumbdrive and it worked.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_100#post_24459537

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_100#post_24461612

Internet update didn't find anything for me, so I did a manual download, put it on my thumbdrive and it worked.

The S60 has issues with it's update function. Unless they resolve it, you will need download it to a flash drive and do it manually.

Ian

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm .. the Japan support site has a newer dated version .. and it ALSO states the extra step of de-compressing the file.

Here's the version the Japan site lists as latest and greatest:

Feb. 3, 2014

Ver. 2.212

Improve system stability.

While the original link to the download I had (from this thread) ONLY listed version 2.211 as the latest ..

Any thoughts ??

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_100#post_24465264

Hmmm .. the Japan support site has a newer dated version .. and it ALSO states the extra step of de-compressing the file.

Here's the version the Japan site lists as latest and greatest:

Feb. 3, 2014

Ver. 2.212

Improve system stability.

While the original link to the download I had (from this thread) ONLY listed version 2.211 as the latest ..

Any thoughts ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_100#post_24465287

Sorry .. I meant to say the link I initially used was from the other huge S60 users thread ..

Here's the link I got from that that shows only the out dated 2.211 version as latest::

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/tc-p50s60?t=downloads&support&cm_mmc=AffiliateDefault-_-Ecommerce-_-Default-_-Default#tabs

The Japan site maybe for a different version of the S60. I suggest you stick with the US one which already includes a stability improvement (2.208 I believe) which was released prior to 2.211.

Ian

·
Registered
235 Posts

I think the update prior to 2.211 was 2.206.. thats the one my S60 purchased in Dec 2013 has.. of course, when I go to check for updates via the tv, it tells me I have the latest update already... clearly I do not.

So does anyone know the SPECIFIC corrections that were made to the firmware in ver 2.211?  It says stability updates and changing the name of the tv remote app.. i havent experienced any stability problems... does it fix anything else?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The JAPAN site lets you pick a region .. i.e. North America .. then it takes you that region's S60 download page .. should be safe .. but caution is always the best route in tech circles.

btw - The date of the latest firmware at Japan is a few months past the 2.211 date .. I have to assume it has newer changes than the the 2.211 release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download#post_24466671

The Japan site maybe for a different version of the S60. I suggest you stick with the US one which already includes a stability improvement (2.208 I believe) which was released prior to 2.211.

Ian

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_100#post_24467208

I think the update prior to 2.211 was 2.206.. thats the one my S60 purchased in Dec 2013 has.. of course, when I go to check for updates via the tv, it tells me I have the latest update already... clearly I do not.

So does anyone know the SPECIFIC corrections that were made to the firmware in ver 2.211?  It says stability updates and changing the name of the tv remote app.. i havent experienced any stability problems... does it fix anything else?

There was a 2.208 for stability issues. I bought my set in November with an October build date and it shows 2.210. 2.211 is for the smart phone remote application which I have no use for.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/america_2013/down_na_01.html

Personally, unless they come up with new firmware to resolve the sets update function, I'm leaving it alone. If it ain't broke, why try to fix it?

Ian

·
Registered
235 Posts

Do these firmware updates work like they do for a PC BIOS?  Meaning, will the 2.211 update or whatever is the latest, also include the previous updates fixes?  Or are they incremental only?

It concerns me that I have an older, less recent firmware.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian  /t/1521703/panny-firmware-upgrade-do-i-need-to-un-zip-the-download/0_100#post_24471957

Do these firmware updates work like they do for a PC BIOS?  Meaning, will the 2.211 update or whatever is the latest, also include the previous updates fixes?  Or are they incremental only?

It concerns me that I have an older, less recent firmware.

The last update includes all the latest firmware. I spoke to Panasonic today and they advised not to do the North America update 2.212 unless it shows up on the US site, since the application may or may not apply to your particular unit. They are also looking into the TV's update function issue and will contact me when or if there will be a fix.

Ian

·
Registered
235 Posts

Thats good to know, Ian. Thanks for the tip and the update (no pun intended). 

I wonder, now that separating features among the models is a moot point from a sales perspective, what type of improvements, or added features could be made via a firmware update to the S60.  Something to improve or expand on the S60's feature set via software... 

We'll never get 2500hz sub-field drive, since I'm sure that relies heavily on the panel itself (hardware), does anyone know if the S60 panel can display 96hz? that perhaps a software update to enable the processing is all that is needed?  That would be cool as heck to see.. if the panel physically supports that... I would assume since it does 48hz, you could use software processing to double that signal to output 96hz video.

Would be nice to see a software update to give us more than 2-pt adjustments to gamma and grayscale too.  Would be nice.. but probably not going to happen.. even though Panasonic could just reconfigure the ST60 software to run on the S60.  One last gift from Panasonic as they say good-bye to Plasma tech.  But I cant see them putting the resources into that kind of software modification. 

1 - 20 of 22 Posts