AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Best Buy comparing TVs. I was mostly interested in a 50" Panny. Then I saw the glare. They had a Panny sandwiched between a Sony and a Sharp LCD. The Panny showed three rows of lights and I could even see the people shopping in the dvd section.
The Sony and Sharp had no reflection. So, now I am thrown for a loop.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian /forum/post/15419523

I was at Best Buy comparing TVs. I was mostly interested in a 50" Panny. Then I saw the glare. They had a Panny sandwiched between a Sony and a Sharp LCD. The Panny showed three rows of lights and I could even see the people shopping in the dvd section.

Both the Sharp and Sony use a Matte screen. This diffuses light for less reflections. The bad thing is that it affects overall PQ. If most of your viewing is in the daytime with lots of light then LCD may be the way to go.

What is your situation at home? I have a Panny 58PZ850 that has sunlight shining directly on it during the day. Its bothersome sometimes but a huge improvement over a CRT. Most of my "hardcore" TV wathcing is at night and I prefer the rich colors and depth of a plasma to any LCDs currently.

·
Premium Member
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian /forum/post/15419523

Do you live in a store with rows of lights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 32" JVC, similar to the old Trinitrons. The thing ways a ton. I have to get it tilted just right so the living room window doesn't show up on the screen, even with the blinds closed. I am worried that if I wall mount a plasma then I won't be able to turn it during the day to avoid the window glare. It has annoyed me as far back as I can remember to have reflections in the tv. I hate when watching TV during the day and seeing yourself in the reflection. You can't ever watch night movies.

I knew the Sony and Sharp were matte. I didn't know there would be that big of a difference. The Panny was my top choice until I saw that. I'd hate to get one and have reflections.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think most of us with Panny's will tell you that in a normal home environment the anti-glare coating is very effective. It's not as effective as an LCD matte screen but very good nonetheless. I had a Samsung PN50A550 for a week before swapping it for the 50PZ80U and that thing had horrible glare - it was almost as bad as my old Sony CRT RPTV. The universal thing you will hear people say is that a Best Buy type showroom does a disservice to the capabilities of plasmas.

There is going to be a little more glare to a Panny plasma than a matte LCD but the difference in picture quality - in your own home - will not be subtle.

·
Banned
4,968 Posts
We have our flat panel shoot-out video wall still intact. The wall has Panasonic's 50PZ800U, LG's 50PG60, Samsung's LN50A750, Pioneer's PDP-5080HD and The ELite PRO-111FD all perfectly ISF calibrated. I am sorry to say Panasonic's PZ800 has the most reflection and glare, followed by Samsung's A750 and LG's A750.

I believe the extra layer of glass placed in front of the pdp that has the filtering creates more reflection as the extra layer of glass reflects back and forth between the two layers.

-Robert

·
Registered
89 Posts
Plasma reflections are so off-putting that I wouldn't cosider ever buying one. I have enough trouble sorting out the reflections on LCD screens, most notably the SONY's, PANASONIC's and SAMSUNG's.

Every store I have ever been in has clearly shown the background scenery in every plasma screen, so much so that I could read a book by the reflection if I could read backwards.

The best part about throwing out my CRT's was getting rid of lamp reflections at night and outside scenery during the day. Glass is glass and if you can see through it it is reflective no matter how much the manufacturers say it isn't.

·
Premium Member
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian /forum/post/15420501

I have a 32" JVC, similar to the old Trinitrons. The thing ways a ton. I have to get it tilted just right so the living room window doesn't show up on the screen, even with the blinds closed. I am worried that if I wall mount a plasma then I won't be able to turn it during the day to avoid the window glare. It has annoyed me as far back as I can remember to have reflections in the tv. I hate when watching TV during the day and seeing yourself in the reflection. You can't ever watch night movies.

I also hate reflections in the TV but when i replaced my 32" Tube TV with a Plasma, the Plasma's anti-reflective screen is fairly effective and actually made it easier to watch than the Tube TV was during the daytime. You may find that the Plasma screen's anti-reflective properties may be effective enough that the window glare won't be a problem. You could also

use an articulating-arm style wall mount - they can be very handy for turning the TV away from light sources. I've found that Plasma TVs don't seem to be as reflective in homes as they are in stores. I'd much rather address the light issue in the TV's environment during the small percent of the time that i'd be doing daytime viewing, then settle for an LCD which doesn't look as good as Plasma at night.

Here's a link to a good Plasma Glare thread, and another one with links to more such threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769318

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...05&postcount=7

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
i have 50px80u and glare is not a problem for me, i have wall mount and there is light in the kitchen right in front of Tv, when tv is off u can see the slight reflection on the screen but while watching tv it is a non issue. i watch tv is complete dark room so it is a non issue for me, during day time it is OK also. Reflective filter works good, there is a limit to how much filter panny can put without sacrificing PQ. I have seen one of last year model of Panny at local store it is very close to matte finish but PQ suffered quite a bit i think that is the main reason Panny discontinued that model feature.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15433548

I also hate reflections in the TV but when i replaced my 32" Tube TV with a Plasma, the Plasma's anti-reflective screen is fairly effective and actually made it easier to watch than the Tube TV was during the daytime. You may find that the Plasma screen's anti-reflective properties may be effective enough that the window glare won't be a problem. You could also

use an articulating-arm style wall mount - they can be very handy for turning the TV away from light sources. I've found that Plasma TVs don't seem to be as reflective in homes as they are in stores. I'd much rather address the light issue in the TV's environment during the small percent of the time that i'd be doing daytime viewing, then settle for an LCD which doesn't look as good as Plasma at night.

Here's a link to a good Plasma Glare thread, and another one with links to more such threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769318

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...05&postcount=7

I struggle with this for most of my rooms (and rooms of friends that have windows without blackout window treatments). It is the only reason I would ever consider recommending an LCD. Actually I found the PZ77u did the best in bright rooms (for plasmas, it has a matte coating I believe), the pz800u was very problematic (and in fact was moved to a room that had no windows or rear lighting just to deal with the reflections). I wish they would have retained the PZ77u solution for folk who cannot apply room treatments.

I am currently helping a friend spec his system (he wants a 58-60 inch display in a living room with a window directly opposite the only wall he can use for mounting). Until I walked in he was worried about getting the sound right and had no idea what the rear window would do to his daytime viewing (setting up his sound will be easy in comparison). I was hoping to recommend a 58pz800u but the reflections would be really bad. I heard Samsung was releasing a new Anti Reflection technology for their plasmas; to this point I had only recommend Panasonic and Pioneer but I will take a look at the new Samsung releases to try and understand what their AR handling is like (and read the threads you linked in case I can get other ideas for managing reflections for plasmas).

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/15422190

We have our flat panel shoot-out video wall still intact. The wall has Panasonic's 50PZ800U, LG's 50PG60, Samsung's LN50A750, Pioneer's PDP-5080HD and The ELite PRO-111FD all perfectly ISF calibrated. I am sorry to say Panasonic's PZ800 has the most reflection and glare, followed by Samsung's A750 and LG's A750.

I believe the extra layer of glass placed in front of the pdp that has the filtering creates more reflection as the extra layer of glass reflects back and forth between the two layers.

-Robert

I just noticed this post. How did the Pioneer's compare for AR? Was there a difference between the 5080 and the 111FD and how did they stack up against the others you mentioned?

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott /forum/post/15431284

Is there any reason that the glare would be any different or more distracting than what I might get on my old Toshiba 35 inch CRT? We're getting ready to finally move to HDTV and looking at the 58PZ800U.

Scott

You will be extremely happy with the Panny. I just got one and words can't describe how good the picture is.

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir /forum/post/15422610

I was watching the Panny in the store and was blown away with how good the picture looked.

Then I noticed it was actually turned off and I was seeing the LCD TV behind me

BOZO. If you have nothing to add to the conversation, please do us all a favor and keep quiet. It's posts like this that start a riot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.