AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a demo version of the HD1000 for playback and as the source for duping, doing all recording with a consumer version. For the last few weeks I have had video dropouts and greenies on that deck that would not go away with running dry and wet head cleaner tapes. From earlier threads, it seemed time to swap out the video head drum.

However when I removed the drum and examined the heads, they did not look that worn and seemed very smooth. Based on earlier experience, I swabbed the heads directly with head cleaning liquid.I still have an old bottle of RS tapehead cleaner that has a flat felt tip on the end of a shaft on the inside of the cap. Apparently there was a particle, invisible to magnified vision, causing the problem. When the head drum was replaced, the deck played back perfectly.

I mention this because the demo heads were made to run a l-o-n-g time, to the detriment of their recording ability. Some of us may have replaced good demo head assemblies needlessly that just needed a good cleaning.

If you did, don't throw them away.

P.S. I got rid of my JVC DH30000U which still had A/V dropouts after the upgrade on Panny tapes that play through perfectly on the HD1000/DST50

The HD1000 is a great deck! Just a shame it won't play Dtheater prerecorded tapes.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My problem turned out to be a bad pinch roller, not the head I believe.

Sorry, I wouldnt trade back my jvc decks for the hd1000.

dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.