AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of writers indicated that the Panny HDTV receiver was going to get updated via a download from satellites to improve its speed, etc...Has this happened? If so, are there dramatic improvements? Also, has anyone figured out a way to use the remote to change output or do you still need to do it on the box itself?

Thanks....

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes. The update has already taken place. It will continue to be downloaded daily for the next few weeks.

Menus are much faster, guide re-drawing is faster and even the OSD colors seem to have changed a little.

Coupled with the fan noise fix, this box is now ready for prime time!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What noise fan fix are you referring to? Also, is there a "fix" or way to avoid using the receiver itself to change output resolution (eg using the remote to do this)....I am desperate for a fix on this as my receiver will be behind a wall....Thanks

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just called the Tech Service line. As long as your unit is less than 1 year old, they will repair it for free. You only pay for shipping. They also referred to a harware fix for the periodic drop-out issue some owners (myself included) are having. They didn't know when that would be available. Since I have almost 6 months remaining on my 1 year clock, I'm going to wait a bit to see if I can get all my hardware fixes done with one shipping.

Jeff .. why do you need to change the output so often? My display can't handle 720p so I just leave mine on hybrid all the time and it works fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I need to be able to change resolutions so frequently is that I will be alternating between two TV's...One is NTSC and the other the new Panasonic 50" Plasma (HDTV). Both will be in my office (in fact one is to drive a video signal into my computer...eg it will be a TV tuner...if anyone knows of a reasoanble Macintosh PCI card that will handle 720p, that could theoretically solve my problem but I think that is a long-shot). Sometimes I will be working off my computer monitor and other times the Panny HDTV...I really wish the Panny unit could do this more easily...It would be a no brainer for me. Because it can't, I am leaning towards the SOny which will output 480 or 1080i (and I guess the 1080i signal will be downconverted by my plasma)...Oh well...

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An owner of this unit just told me that if I use the HDTV outputs, I must use the digital audio output...Is this true...Yikes...this could kill it for me!

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Registered
846 Posts
The analog audio outputs work in any mode and are independent of the digital output. The digital audio outputs work only when there is a digital signal (ATSC or Satellite).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Which update are you guys talking about?

------------------

TV: Panasonic TH-42PW3

HD: Panasonic TU-HDS20

DVD:? Maybe Panasonic DVD-RP91K???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.