AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Phillips HTS3566D from Costco. Let's get past the "HTIB Sucks" chat.
It's a 2nd TV room and I just want something in there.

Anyway, this system comes with Tall Boy REAR speakers, something I've never seen. I didn't even think to look for it. Anyway, it doesn't make sense to use this system with my current wiring. I have wiring already set up in the back of the room but not in the front. I also have nowhere behind my couch to put tall boys.

Can I buy aftermarket tall boys for the front and use them with this receiver? Is there anything I can do to modify the setup or should I just return it?

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
1. First thing, its a Philips, not a Panasonic. Unless you gave the wrong product number

2. Why can't you just place the tall boy speakers in front and use the others as surrounds? Nothing says you have to use the tall boys in the back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16938386

1. First thing, its a Philips, not a Panasonic. Unless you gave the wrong product number

2. Why can't you just place the tall boy speakers in front and use the others as surrounds? Nothing says you have to use the tall boys in the back.

Oops, you're right. It's Phillips.

2) That was one of the options I am considering, using the tall boys in the front. Wasn't sure if that would mess anything up.

The one thing is that the front speakers (the small ones) have the wire permanently attached to the speaker with a proprietary connection at the end. In order to hook that up with my current wiring, I would have to cut the wire as it comes out of the speaker, strip it and splice it into my wiring in the wall. Then I'd have to cut the proprietary connector and splice that onto the wire that comes out of my wall near the receiver. I was hoping to not have to do that, but I guess that would work? Does it matter that I'm splicing 12 gauge into 18 gauge?

Here's a pic of the speaker connections:

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
this is why I hate HTIB systems like that. What's the point of proprietary connectors? Why not spring clip terminals and bare wire?

I'm guessing the rear speakers dont use these proprietary connectors?

I guess you'll have to splice wire if you want to move things around.

Or take everything back and get something like this.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-BLACK/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-System/1.html

And just add an upconverting DVD player for $60 or less.

Or even the same philips system with all bookshelf size speakers.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HTS356...9355105&sr=8-2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is that I really would prefer tall boy front speakers. I dont have any wall hookups in the front and they would just look really good with my setup.

I'm just worried about doing all this splicing. If something screws up, I'm f'ed and can't return it.

As for your other question, all the speakers in this system have proprietary connections, but in the tall boys, the speaker wire is loose and not permanently connected. Makes it easier I guess.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You're going to be stuck splicing wire if you want to use this setup the way you want. Otherwise, I'd get something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16938545

this is why I hate HTIB systems like that. What's the point of proprietary connectors? Why not spring clip terminals and bare wire?

Probably for handholding. While bare wire and spring clips aren't rocket science, your average schlob with fewer than eight brain cells would find proprietary connections easier.

Trust me, I've seen people mystified by red/white/yellow RCA connections (Them: "Where does the red one go?" Me: "In the red input. They're color coded." Them: "What about the white?" Me (sighing): "In the white one. They're COLOR CODED." Them: "Okay, what about the yellow one?" Me: (murderous rampage.))

They're also probably that way to discourage mixing in other brand's equipment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any danger in splicing and just taping it up with electrical tape? I don't like the permanent connections, that's pretty dumb. I'd hate to mess up a splice somehow and then not be able to return the damn thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts