AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the picture with my L300U. When it first arrived, we had it hooked up to a non-progressive old Sony DVD. Now we have it set up with a progressive XP-30 and quite honestly I don't see much difference.

We followed the XP-30 manual to activate the progressive scan, and the LCD display says "progressive out".

Using the component input to the L300U with Monster cables.

I'm not complaining because we love the picture either way. Just curious if a new DVD player was worth the bucks in terms of picture quality. One side benefit of the XP-30 is that all of our movies seem to "fit" our 52X92 screen better. the old Sony didn't do a very good job of recognizing various formats.

What should I be looking for in the picture to determine if there is a quality improvement?

Taj

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
First, check the Projector menu to make sure it's getting a progressive signal. Go to menu and picture and at the bottom it should say which signal it's getting, either 525I or 525P. If it's P then you're getting a progressive signal. To be honest, I've never seen huge improvements between the two. Maybe that's because the pj does a good job of scaling the image even without the progressive, who knows.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also have noticed no difference between progressive vs interlaced output of the xp30 into the component inputs of the l300u.

Warren

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is no night/day difference between progressive vs. interlaced. There are some important (and detailed things) a progressive signal does much better that you can notice if you look for it. (Read the DVD Benchmark article Mike linked.)

BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY ... with the old Sony, you were STILL SEEING a progressive image. This is because the PJ has it's own deinterlacer and therefore you will ***NEVER*** see a non-progressive image coming from the 300u.

Hope that helps and I've made it clear enough.

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also should add, that the XP-30's deinterlacer should be better than that of the 300u though.

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Anyone know what deinterlacer the 300u has? Anyone with a service manual could look it up I'm sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I am traveling now but I like the suggestion of checking the projector menu to see if it is receiving a progresive signal - can't wait to get home to check.

One thing I'm finding out in this hobby is that you get a miles of performance with a little money (L300U), then you only get inches by adding the extra bells and whistles (better screen, DVD upgrade, better cables, etc.).

I viewed several PJ's ( $1800 to $10k+) before buying the L300U and the differences were so slight that you sometimes found yourself moving to within a foot of the screen just to try and tell a difference.

Maybe I don't have a keen eye for perfection - but I'm sure enjoyin a beautiful picture.

taj

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just checked video menu on the L300U with the XP30 set to progressive. The projector is acknowledging a 525P input.

Thanks for the tip Jacksonian

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just orderd the L300. I currently have an older panasonic interlaced DVD player.. (A120)

I realize this DVD player is old and outdated, but it still works fine (no chroma bug), and from the above posts it sounds like it's not a huge difference with this PJ.

I plan to eventually get a new DVD player, hopefully with DCDi (would be nice to get something that could play CD-Rs and Mp3s too)...

So here's the question -- shoud I get a new DVD player now (while last years affordable Panny's with faroudja are still lurking around) - or wait and see what else comes out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.